22. Chief Justice

Illustration
This was a long drawn-out tussle with the AI that eventually paid off. AI is notoriously bad at drawing faces, and has only the vaguest idea about nationality – I asked for an Indian judge, and got ones that were Native American – occasionally even with feather headdresses! Requests for brown skin were answered with pictures of men who were clearly of African heritage. Judicial robes often ended up looking like something from Harry Potter. And don't even ask about the court room setting ...

However, I kept stubbornly trying again and again, and after more than two hundred spins of the wheel, it came up with this, which was so close to what I had in mind that I cropped out all the crazy stuff it added to the picture, and collapsed in relief.

Quote
From Aristotle's Nichomachean Ethics, where he speaks of the ideal judge who embodies justice. You would hope that in the Afterlife your judge will distribute perfect justice.

The Humanity of Forward
When Julian sees Chief Justice Dharmayama, he is immediately impressed by the sense of dignity, power, and wisdom he exudes. Although the judge is said to have a brilliant mind, Julian can also feel his deep compassion. He begins to have some feeling of hope at this point that the judge will assess him with a balance of justice and mercy.

It occurs to Julian that when people go Forward, they do not lose their humanity, or become alien. Instead, they become more completely human, more deeply human, more perfectly human. Everyone at the Waystation who has gone Forward is a human being with human kindness and understanding; they do not turn into angels.

"Everyone is Going Forward"
Chief Justice Dharmayama makes an immediate sensation in the Assessment Room when he announces that everyone being assessed that day will be going Forward. Of course he adds, "Eventually"! As has been drummed into the reader by now, everyone is on a path Forward, and nobody should have been surprised by the judge's statement. I think some readers were just about ready to kick him for trolling, though!

The Fates of the Minor Characters
Margaret Atkins – It took only five minutes for the judge to assess Margaret and send her Forward. Her life of virtue, her warm and kind personality, and her perfect attitude made it a foregone conclusion she would be going Forward. Her middle name is even Rose!

Noel is upset he isn't given a chance to say goodbye to Margaret, saying that having her at the hotel when he arrived was like having his nana with him. In real life, Noel was raised by his beloved grandmother until he was eight, but I doubt she was much like Margaret. She sounds like a rather formidable lady, and Noel said he loves strong women because he was raised by one.

Ronald Campbell – Despite Ronald's confidence, the judge has some reservations about sending him Forward. He took staying at The Rose and Star too much for granted, and a report from Sophia is taken seriously. We don't know what Sophia complained of, but he may have treated her like a servant, or been a bit too entitled.