14. Mirror, Mirror

Chapter Title
It's from the fairy tale Snow White, by the Brothers Grimm, where the evil queen says, "Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?" In the 1937 Disney film, they changed this line to "Magic mirror on the wall", leading to great confusion ever since.

There are two mirrors in the chapter, hence Mirror, Mirror.

Quote
From the 1991 song "Calling All Angels", sung by Jane Siberry and KD Lang, which appears in this chapter. I love this song, and the sentiment of this excerpt. 

Upsadaisy Downs
Bronwen tells them about the ramble in the Upsadaisy Downs, which had hills covered in a rainbow of different coloured daisies, as far as the eye can see. I imagined the downs as being like the foothills of Heaven. Why I associate daisies with Heaven, I do not know. I suspect it comes from some obscure passage in Anne of Green Gables.

Bronwen already seems to be thinking of herself as being sent Back to Earth, because she says she hopes she retains some memory of these heavenly daisies. Not the sight of them, but the feeling that they gave her. How often do we possess some wild bittersweet pang in our hearts, that doesn't seem to connect with anything we know on Earth? Where do these feelings come from, if not from Beyond?

 How often do we possess some wild bittersweet pang in our hearts, that doesn't seem to connect with anything we know on Earth? Where do these feelings come from, if not from Beyond?

The Hall of Mirrors
This is based on the Mirror World in The Mighty Boosh, a mysterious dimension that exists (somehow) between Limbo and the world of the living. Vince/Noel is able to access it through a magic portal in the kiosk of the shaman Naboo at the zoo. Despite its impressive name, it is in fact just a tiny room with only seventeen mirrors – in this chapter, Julian faces the mirrors in a likewise small room, and makes a similar joke about its size, as in the show.

It is also based on The Past Lives Pavilion in the film Defending Your Life [pictured]. This is an entertainment in Judgment City, where the recently deceased may enter a booth and see holographic images of their past lives. I made The Hall of Mirrors much more serious than either of these joking references.

As a little nod to The Past Lives Pavilion, and Julian asking Marcus if it is some sort of "Afterlife funfair", the Hall of Mirrors is made to resemble an old-fashioned pier palace of the sort sometimes seen in English seaside towns. I based it on the one at Brighton. It has the same big glass dome and four towers, and round porthole windows.

Of course, a "hall of mirrors" is a traditional funfair attraction, consisting of a maze of mirrors, often distorted to confuse you further. Are the mirrors in The Hall of Mirrors really to be trusted?

 Are the mirrors in The Hall of Mirrors really to be trusted?