chapter 28

BELLY

Before I have time to process the fact that I'm going into labor, there's another burst of pure agony that shoots through my stomach, bringing me to the floor. I don't know if I cried out in pain or not, but a few seconds later I sense Conrad bounding down the stairs.

He runs over to me on the floor, curled up in a very uncomfortable ball, and turns me over oh-so-delicately. "Belly? What's wrong?"

His frightened eyes search mine and trail down my body until he sees the pool of water. His eyes widen in realization and he says, somewhat in awe, "Belly. Your water broke."

I'm happy he's realized this, but I'm in such pain that all I'm seeing is flashes of black and white. I scream and say to Conrad through clenched teeth, "Yes. My water broke. Now PLEASE TAKE ME TO THE HOSPITAL MY STOMACH FEELS LIKE ITS GONNA SPLIT INTO SEVEN PIECES."

He scoops me up like I weigh ten pounds (which I definitely do not–I made the mistake of checking a week ago) and hurries over to the stove, turning it off before bringing us to the front door and grabbing his keys. He steps out, somehow closes the door behind him, and lays me down on the backseat in his car. After making sure I'm secure enough, he practically dashes to the driver's seat and starts the car, backing out and then zooming out of the neighborhood at a speed that I'm sure breaks all residential speed limits.

We're at the hospital in under ten minutes, which would normally be impressive if I was conscious enough to acknowledge it. Conrad parks in his employee spot, runs into the building and brings out a wheelchair, and eases me into it. I'm not much help, because I think even a single aggressive moment will make me want to die, and my body's also just trying to cool me down by sweating buckets.

He wheels me inside while carefully maneuvering around people and nearby beds, and pulls one of his work friends aside and speaks to him in hushed tones. The friend nods and rushes off before Conrad comes back to me and smooths my hair back, kissing my head. "We're almost there, Bells. Just a bit longer," he says quietly. I hope he isn't bluffing.

The work friend comes back just as Conrad brings us to a room, and the two of them switch on a bunch of things and get the bed ready. I help by writhing in my chair and crying for my mom.

Finally, once the bed is ready, his friend holds my legs while Conrad carefully manages my torso, and they scooch me onto the bed. Conrad rushes out, presumably to check me in, while the work friend starts hooking me up to an IV. And that's when the strongest wave of pain crashes over me, and I finally black out.

I come back to consciousness when someone holds some smelling salts near my nose. First I register the fluorescent white lights over me, and then I register the blinding pain. I think I'm screaming, but all I can register at the moment is how tightly I've clenched my hands into fists at my sides.

Conrad is sitting on a chair next to the bed, watching anxiously while a couple of nurses hurry around me. Someone's changed me into a hospital gown, which is kind of uncomfortable because I'm completely naked underneath. Conrad whispers soothing words into my ears and wipes the tears that are streaming down my face while I try and keep it together. Finally, a nurse shouts, "It's coming!"

Conrad's eyes widen, and he stands up and gets ready to help. But I know he can't, because he's off duty right now. And I'm sure it's killing him to have to sit there and do nothing.

The nurses huddle around the end of my body, and Conrad pleads, "Push, Belly. Come on, Bells. You're almost there. Just a bit more."

I push and push and push and don't think I can any more, but the nurse exclaims, "Head is out!" And that's when I find it in me to push one final time. For my almost-born child.

This time, when I wake up, I'm holding my newborn daughter to my chest.