chapter 1

BELLY

As I stare off into the glittering waves of Cousins beach, lost in thought, I realize that I never gave these waves enough credit
for their magic. I've sat here in the same sand, in the same position, breathing the same salty air, for basically all my life. And yet, I've never truly appreciated the beauty of these waves crashing against each other, somehow demonstrating perfect unison and chaos simultaneously.

As if on cue, Conrad, sitting next to me, nudges my shoulder with his. "Do you have any idea how beautiful you look right now?" he asks.

I force myself to look away from the water, smiling as I shake my head. "My hair's probably all over the place because of the wind, my dress is probably covered with sand, and my makeup's either ruined or gone completely. Would you like to reconsider your statement, Mr. Fisher?"

Chuckling, he replies, "Nope, I'll be standing with my previous statement, Mrs. Fisher. You are the most beautiful woman that I have ever and will ever lay eyes on."

I am in my wedding dress, formerly a subtle off-white shade but now all wet and covered with sand. Conrad's tie is undone, and his drenched gray suit jacket is lying in a heap next to him. We came straight here from the wedding, with me using his jacket to cover my hair from the rain as I was running towards his car and Conrad following closely behind me, holding my shoes.

We are newly married, after so many years of running back and forth. I am finally Mrs. Isabel Fisher, sitting next to the man of my dreams at the very beach where we first kissed so long ago.

Scrunching my nose, I cover my face with my hands so he can't see how happy his words just made me.

"Wedding rings are so hot," he murmurs as he takes my hands off my face. He lifts my left hand, closes his eyes, and kisses my ring finger, his cheeks coloring a faint blush pink. I put my right hand on his cheek and lift his head to kiss him, pouring all of the love and emotion I feel at this moment into the kiss. He kisses me back, tangling his hand into my hair and using his other hand to lightly trace the curve of my side, down to my waist.

The butterflies in my stomach are going absolutely berserk.

I pull away first, but only because I'm sure my heart is going to malfunction if we keep doing this for another second longer. Nudging my nose with his, I whisper, "I love you, Conrad Beck Fisher. Forever and always."

He smiles. Finally opening his eyes, he whispers back, "I love you, Isabel Fisher. Infinitely and unconditionally."

And hearing those words coming out of his mouth, recreating a scene I've only dreamed of countless times, makes everything feel so much more real. I'm with him, he's with me, and at this moment, I wouldn't change a single thing.