chapter 15

BELLY

"So, your mom may or may not be planning a surprise late birthday party for you at Cousins."

My head darts up from the blueberry pancakes I was so focused on. Conrad and I are sitting at the dining table eating breakfast. Since it's Saturday and we're both off work, he got up earlier than me and made blueberry pancakes,  my favorite.

I put my fork down and gape at him with my mouth open. "WHAT."

He nods solemnly, trying not to smile. "Yep. She called me yesterday when you were brushing your teeth and started off with the usual, like how our trip went and how are you doing and all that. And then she stopped beating around the bush and finally told me that she wanted to throw you a party at Cousins, since we were so busy planning the wedding that we couldn't celebrate it properly."

He pauses to take another bite of his pancake and continues, "She asked me what the nearest date would be so that we would be able to make it for a whole day. And," he continued, his mouth pulling upwards in a mischievous way, "I told her tomorrow would work."

I take a blueberry from my plate and throw it at him. He laughs and dodges it. "CONRAD! That's ...tomorrow! I need something to wear! And I think I'm already showing!" After we both glance at my stomach, I grab my phone from beside my plate and check my calendar in case there's a stray event that conveniently messes up the plans.

Conrad laughs and says, "No point checking your calendar, I already did that before letting Laurel know. And Belly?" he asks, putting his hand on mine, "you'll be fine. You're not showing, and anyways, I was sort of thinking we could...tell everyone at the party? Since we won't be able to get together like this again until Christmas."

When he says everyone, does he mean..."Even Jere?"

His hold on my hand tightens almost an imperceptible amount, but I notice it. But props to him, because he takes it in stride and nods. "It'll be your parents, Steven and Taylor, my dad and Jere, Anika, and Skye. Laurel said she invited a few of your friends from college, too, but they couldn't make it. She wanted to keep it small, anyways."

My heart lifts with the idea of meeting everyone again, especially Anika and Skye; I hadn't seen them in nearly forever. But it also beats a bit faster at the thought of meeting Jere again. I hadn't seen him since the wedding reception, and he was so...detached then. Like I wasn't his best friend of nearly 18 years. How would he react Conrad and I having a baby? How would my mom react?

I nod and smile excitedly. I am a bit excited about this. "I like it. But what if...what if they take it badly? It'll ruin all of Mom's plans."

His eyes lift in thought, and he thinks while chewing. "I thought that too. But," he continues, "it isn't really something they can do anything about. And we're both old enough to have kids. I don't think they'll get mad–if anything, it'll just be a bit surprising."

That is true. But I haven't told Conrad about the one thing that's making me nervous: if my mom reacts the way she did when Jere told her about our wedding, then how would she take baby news? She had always been a big believer in putting work first, and then everything else after. I had a job, but we all knew it wasn't the one I wanted.

Even then, I push these thoughts aside. What was the point in being nervous? We were going to Cousins! Tomorrow! And who knew? Maybe everyone would be really happy for us. Maybe I was worrying for nothing.

I give a slightly apprehensive Conrad my patent reassuring smile. "Con, don't worry. Everything'll be okay." He relaxes, smiles, and stands to take both of our cleared plates. I protest and try to hold onto mine so I can rinse it myself, but he takes it from me easily. "Nope. You get dressed so we can go to the mall and find you a dress, and I'll take care of this. We'll be out in," he checks his Apple watch, "an hour?"

I kiss him in agreement, and he puts the plates aside to wrap his arm around my waist and pull me closer. Dotting two quick kisses on his jawline, which makes him start, I twirl out of his arms and skip to the stairs. "Down in sixty!"