Chapter 4

I was initially shocked but then I caught sight of the general slowly backing away with a smile on his face suddenly I understood what Don was trying to do, he didn't want the general to see my hair and start asking questions, questions I didn't have answers to or else he might take me to my father and although I thought about it, I wasn't ready to tell him anything yet, instead I raised my hands slowly and encircled his neck, drawing him nearer. His arms tightened around my waist almost instantly, and the world around us faded away, leaving only the anticipation of our first kiss.

The sensation was electrifying, yet wonderfully so. It wasn't a jolt but rather a gentle flicker of light within my chest—this must be the famed spark. A tingling sensation grew in my stomach, fluttering like butterflies, as his lips, warm and soft, met mine. I found myself not wanting to let go, yet the need to breathe became apparent. Reluctantly, he eased back, our foreheads touching, our gazes locked—an intimate moment where it seemed I could see into the depths of his soul and it looked like his eyes changed color for a moment. He had aquamarine green eyes but at this moment they looked more blue than green 'Wait how is that possible?' "Ahem"

We both looked back and saw the general walking towards us. I gave Don a panicked look "Don't worry it's back to normal" he whispered and he was right my hair was back to normal "Must be from all the heat" he joked but an idea struck me instead 'What if parts of my hair only turns blue when water is splashed on it but I can't be sure yet, I mean it has only happened twice, I need to test this' I poked on his back and gave him a look that said 'we need to talk' he understood this and nodded "sorry I'm late, am I interrupting something ?" The general asked, we didn't even realize that he was already standing in front of us and waiting for an answer "Not at all" Don said, the general nodded pretending like he didn't see anything, and suddenly memories of our kiss moments ago came flooding my mind and my cheeks turned bright red instantly.

I tried covering my face with my hair, but the general saw this and smiled knowingly "Why do you look so flustered Lacia?" "it must be from all the heat in here," I said using my hand to try to fan myself a bit "Can we go get our horses now please, it is hot in here," Don said too, backing me up "Very well then," he said and walked towards the door and stopped when he pulled it open "oh yes lest I forget," he said turning around "Next time you want to do something, do it behind closed doors, if you know what I mean" He smirked and left, leaving me with my face hotter than it already was and I tried to use my hair to cover my face again but Don saw what I was trying to do "Wait are you blushing," he said while folding his arms over his chest trying to look at me with a wide grin "No I'm not it's just boiling," I said looking straight into his eyes while trying so hard to ignore the rapid beating of my heart and he wasn't exactly helping my situation by showing off those cute dimples "fine if you say so," he said standing straight again.

I could see he was still smiling to himself so I decided to change the topic "Donkey, how did your eyes change color" I asked as I remembered what happened before the general came in "What are you talking about" he asked looking confused "well after the 'ahem' t-the kiss" I cleared my throat because it still felt weird saying it "your eyes turned blue" I said squinting my eyes and folding my arms over my chest "well it must have been a trick of the light" "but it was really-" "nothing but a trick of the light I mean it is bright in here so maybe that's what you thought you saw" "you know I hate it when you cut me off like that" I said jabbing my index finger at his chest. "And I hate it when you keep stuff from me," he said pulling my hand away "You still haven't told me about your hair you know," he said giving me a sincere look "It was a trick of the light," I said pulling my hand back and walking towards my horse's stall "oh come on we both know that wasn't a trick of the light," he said coming after me "Really? But that's what you said about your eyes" I said turning around to face him "Yes and it's true, it's not like my eyes can just magically change color " "I can say the same about my hair" "Yes except yours changed right in front of us both" I sighed in defeat he was right, there was no explaining what had happened a few moments ago "okay fine I'll tell you later" "why not just tell me now" "Because curiosity kills the donkey" I said smiling "and besides the general has been waiting for us, also judging by the time we've spent in here we are probably getting punished". No sooner had I finished my sentence that the stable boy ran in "The general has been waiting outside for a while now and he is beginning to get angry, he also said to come out this instant" After saying this the stable boy ran out as quick as he ran in "make that getting definitely punished" Don said and walked away to get his horse, Knight while I went to get my horse as well, her name was Melody and she had white hair and a pale yellow mane.

Knight and Melody were of the same breed and were said to be a scarce breed. It was very difficult for my parents to track them down after they spotted them both in the mountains when we were having a family picnic, naturally, they were wild, and my mom had a hard time taming Melody before she could bring her home to the palace. For some reason Knight followed them willingly but still wouldn't let anyone ride him, my mom died before she could tame him so Don took it up as a challenge and after, months of trials and failures he finally succeeded in taming the wild beast.

I was only twelve when my mother passed away. The news came upon my return from a three-month trip to Gladovia, Don's kingdom, where I had experienced the time of my life. That joy crumbled when I arrived home to faces etched with sorrow. Silence pervaded until Marina revealed that my mother had succumbed to a latent illness, its symptoms emerging only in the final stages. The shock left me breathless, as if part of my soul had been torn away. Don, too, was taken aback, though he concealed it well. My legs gave way, but Don and Marina caught me as I fell. In the months that followed, I withdrew into silence, my once vibrant world now a desolate abyss. I yearned for one last glimpse of my mother, but even that was denied; my father wouldn't take me to her grave. To cope, I convinced myself she had fallen in battle, a truth no one would confirm, perhaps because I had cautioned her against it. This fabrication was my lifeline to sanity. It was an arduous journey to regain my footing, but I persevered. I had to mature, to move forward, to remain steadfast. Tragedy strikes, often beyond our control, and we must find the strength to endure.

          Don walked towards me pulling his black stallion gently by the reigns "Ready?" "Yeah, let's go." I said pulling myself back together.