Chapter Twenty-Four

Start from the beginning

    After the familiar brief weightlessness in nothing, Kenneth's horvas landed in snow—Kenneth almost slid off due to the dizziness of teleporting.

    Kenneth's lips parted. What had to be a million soldiers surrounded him—all facing the distant black tower. Nearby were large metal tents for assisting the soon-to-be injured. Kenneth resisted the urge to jump off his horvas, Walvin, and find Halo in one of the tents.

    She'll be safe, he tried to convince himself.

    The broad-shouldered man Kenneth had seen yesterday sat on a horvas in front of all the soldiers; Kenneth had learned that his name was Bardick. Bardick wore a thick overcoat over his muscular stoic body and a brown-gray beard reaching his collarbone. Kenneth almost laughed but didn't even dare—the man looked like a stereotypical viking.

    Clearly using a loud spell, Bardick's deep voice boomed over millions of soldiers, "On my count, we'll advance."

Kenneth resisted the urge to cover his ears. Shout a little louder and maybe the Interitus will know too, he thought sarcastically.

    Bardick's voice boomed, "On the count of three. One. Two. Three."

    Almost knocking Kenneth off Walvin, the army advanced. Those on foot must be using spells to run faster, because they ran inhumanly fast.

    "Go, Kenneth," Kenneth muttered angrily. Everyone was advancing, and he had cowardly froze; Walvin pawed impatiently at the ground. With his command, Walvin charged forward at lightning speed, Kenneth almost bounced off—he had never known a horvas could run so fast.

Approaching the black tower, Kenneth's eyes narrowed to find that at least a million Interitus stood waiting for them. How did they know?

The two armies almost crashed into each other, immediately fighting like there was no tomorrow—there wouldn't be for some of them.

    Kenneth couldn't let his emotions get the best of him—that had been his mistake in the Bishop shelter. If he had to shut down all his feelings and numbly fight his way through, then so be it; he wasn't going to hide or hesitate in fear for his life or others.

    Walvin ran him into the chaos.
Kenneth pulled his sword out, holding onto his reins with the other hand. In flashing lights, spells hissed in all directions; the metal of weapons clanged together and magical guns banged.

Kenneth squeezed his legs tightly, trying not to fall off of Walvin; he looked over the heads of fighters, trying to find Interitus. Arrows shot over his head from every direction. He wasn't sure which ones were from good people or Interitus, and he didn't care. Kenneth squinted forward through the disorienting situation, and he quickly pulled out his sword after stabbing an Interitus.

    His ears rang, muffling the cacophony. Kenneth's heart pounded, chest heaving up and down as his eyes discerned friend from foe. His sword swiftly beheaded two unaware Interitus as if cutting water. Despite the snowy planet, Kenneth was warm, whether from the growing blood bath or the hot spells.

    As his horvas trampled over the enemies, Kenneth was beginning to think he had an advantage when a whizzing pulse spell impacted his side. His arms desperately grasped Walvin's neck, he struggled to regain his balance.

    Walvin leaped as large spikes bursted from the snow, and Kenneth could do nothing but grip onto his creature for dear life. He bounced on the saddle as the horvas tumbled through a mob of Interitus, spells shifting them left and right. Kenneth practically laid against his horvas's neck as he swung his magical sword at the enemies—it was all he could do to not fall off.