Chapter Thirty-Five

In the three years since she'd seen the Captain of the demon armies, Sofia had avoided the bar Morio's like the plague. When it came to picking up bounties, she left Emilio to it and then they'd reconvene for missions.

This time was different. She could feel he was going to be there. Heading to that bar might just be the most selfish thing she'd ever done—and yet she couldn't bring herself to turn around.

She didn't have to walk far to find him. Hell, she didn't even have to go inside. Caspian sat with his eyes closed, a pint in his hand in the outdoor seating area, soaking up the sun. The boards inside would update in a minute or so. He was probably out here waiting for the busy crowds to die down.

Sofia hesitated where she stood. Caspian would realise any second now that she was here. Her scent would hit his nose with the next sway of the wind. If she was going to leave, she had to leave now.

Somehow, she stood still, unmoving. The wind came and did just that, making him aware of her presence. Caspian breathed her in, his shoulders lifted, tensed then relaxed.

His eyes didn't open.

What do I do now?

She hadn't thought this far ahead.

Baby steps.

He knows I'm here.

She couldn't just leave now. Not after reading what that letter said.

She headed over, heart beating out a samba, and took the seat across from him. The metal squeaked when she sat down, rusted. His eyes still didn't open.

Three years and he didn't look a single bit different. The same copper hair. The same long lashes. The same big body and flexing muscles. She eyed his fire runes. Right now, they were a soft, calm orange.

It was weird how long she'd been staring—but she couldn't help herself.

His eyes opened for the briefest of seconds as he reached his pint to his lips. She watched the sun hit his green eyes at the perfect angle to make them shimmer. She watched his head tip back as he swallowed. And then she watched him close his eyes again and bask in it.

He gave her nothing.

"Hello Caspian. Long time no see."

He didn't respond. He didn't so much as twitch.

"Caspian?"

She wondered if he'd heard her at all until the door to the pub flung open and one of his crew members stuck his head around it. If she remembered correctly, that man was Guido.

"Hey Cas—you coming? The boards are about to update."

Cas answered, eyes shut again. "I'll be there in a second. Just finishing my pint."

So he could hear. He was just choosing to ignore her.

I deserve that.

So what was she supposed to say?

I've got to say something.

So she tried again.

"I'm sorry for—for everything. You look good."

Still nothing.

His hand was resting above the table just beside his pint. It's this or nothing. She reached out, gently placing her hand above his. With her touch, his eyes snapped open.

But he didn't pull his hand away. That had to be a good sign... right?

"Hi," She tried again, certain she had his attention now. "I'm sorry to barge in like this after all this time. But I saw you sitting here and I just thought..." I just thought what—say something! "I just thought I'd come and say hello."