6 ~ The Glory of Womanhood

ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 𝔖𝔦𝔵; 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔊𝔩𝔬𝔯𝔶 𝔬𝔣 𝔚𝔬𝔪𝔞𝔫𝔥𝔬𝔬𝔡

✯✧✧✭⁑⛧⁑✭✧✧✯

𝔗𝔬𝔡𝔞𝔶 is my least favorite class of the year and at the same time, the one I'm looking the most forward to.

Flying has been a passion of mine since I was little.

I would always sneak into my older brother's room and take his Nimbus 500. Then I would take it out to the back gardens and teach myself how to fly.

I'm actually a decent flyer, and Cavan said I would make one hell of a quidditch player.

That was if I could actually play the game.

But as the House of Black goes, women are forbidden from anything even remotely related to men. So no House cup's in my near future.

Sighing, I look down at the rusty old school broom Hogwarts makes us learn on.

"Alright, first years!" Madam Hooch shouts at us to quiet down, "Attention, please!"

"Good now, hopefully some of you lot will be future Quidditch players here at Hogwarts," She smiles crookedly.

"A few more likely than the rest," Hooch looks at Snape in dissatisfaction.

"First things first, would you please step to the right of your broom and say up."

I watch as Marlene in front of me steps in front of her broom, it immediately rising to her hand.

Then there is Lily to the right of me, who seems to be struggling to get the broom to even twitch.

I look at mine now, knowing it will come to my hand with ease.

"Up." And it does.

On my left, Potter is looking at me with wide eyes, fascinated.

"Got a problem, Potter?" I ask.

"No," He says, his broom immediately going up as well, "Just didn't expect you to be good at flying is all."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I raise my eyebrows.

"Well you always ramble about not liking Quidditch so-"

"I never said I didn't like quidditch," I exhaled a sigh.

"Then why-"

"Now would you please try to kick off the ground, hover for a minute or few, and touch back down," Madam Hooch cuts him off, "Oh my whistle, 3..2...1"

With the sound of the whistle, a few students broom manage to make it a few feet, others a few inches.

And some, like poor Lily, refuse to leave the ground at all.

I, however, got slightly eager in my endeavors and managed to get my broom about twenty feet in the air.

"Ms. Black, I said a few feet, not a few dozen!" Hooch shouts up at me.

"Sorry, it was getting a bit boring," I shrugged her off, "So I thought I would have a little fun."

"Black, get down this instant!"

"No thank you," I tell her, trying to enjoy my only few moments on a broomstick.

"Hey Sirius, wanna throw me that paper ball you have?" I asked my cousin who crumpled up his homework from History of Magic this afternoon.

"Bet," Sirius laughs, taking it out of his pocket, "Go long!"

I give him a thumbs up as Madam Hooch continues to shout at me.