59

I screamed as a wave of pain hit me the first time. It felt like every inch – every cell of my body was on fire. And the pain wasn't stopping, it only grew.

My body was twitching on the hard ground as I felt tears running down my cheeks. The pain hurt more than anything ever before. It was almost like it was gathering all the most painful experiences of my life, and throwing them right back at my face.

It felt both mentally and physically like all my bones were snapping. Like my body was being torn apart from the inside.

I found myself unable to move anymore. All my body did was the automatic movements my muscles did to try to avoid the pain. I couldn't see. I couldn't breathe. I felt like this was it. I felt like dying.

But I wasn't dying, I sure wished I was. The pain stayed, it didn't stop. I wished it all being over – I wished that I was actually gone. I wished that Lucius had decided to use the killing curse instead.

Then something made my hearing clear again. That something being a voice of someone I thought I would never see again.

"You're going to be okay, little sister" Cedric's voice seemed to echo trough the air. I knew I was either hallucinating or on the verge of dying as he wasn't here anymore.

"Just stay awake, he'll be here soon"

I clutched onto Cedric's words, fighting my all to keep my eyes open even though my vision was blurred already.

Cedric didn't want me to give up.

"He'll come Esme. He'll come" Cedric's voice reassured me. I tried to focus on his words. I believed him. I believed it would be over soon.

And Cedric was right.

Suddenly air flew back to my lungs. The pain didn't grow anymore. It was over.

I still couldn't move. I just layed on the ground, slightly sobbing as the pain hadn't still fully left my body.

I felt something lifting me, pulling me towards them. I couldn't see, but I recognised the scent of fresh apples and mint immediately.

"Draco" I breathed out, as I was being pulled fully to his lap now.

"I'm here. It's okay. You're okay" Draco's voice was shaking. I knew he tried to hide it. I knew he tried to act brave, but I could hear the pain in his voice.

"I'm going to kill him. I'm going to kill my father for this" I felt him starting to move away as the anger in his voice rise.

That's all I wanted at the moment. For the man who did this to be gone. He would deserve it for all he had done in the past. But I couldn't let Draco take that burden on him. He was his father. It would destroy him even if he wouldn't admit it.

"Don't" I gathered all my strength to lift my hand to grap his arm, which made him stop his tracks. "Please stay. Please don't go" I whispered and felt how Draco was fighting the urge to go after his father. But he decided to stay.

"I'm so sorry" Draco moved my hair with his fingers, trying to stop me from twitching in pain. "It's all my fault. I'm sorry" his voice broke and I shooked my head weakly at his words.

"No. It's my fault" I said, not wanting him to blame himself. I had decided to go, he had even tried to stop me from going. My vision started to come back and I saw his face now.

Draco's eyes were filled with tears, but not a single one had escaped. He was biting his lower lip, looking more messed up than I had ever seen him.

"How are you here? You shouldn't be here. Where's everyone else?" million questions hit my head as I realised we were still somewhere in the Ministry, where Draco wasn't even supposed to be.

"Shh, Diggory" Draco's finger landed on my lips, making me stop asking more questions. "Everything is taken care of. I saw Granger on my way here – she said the aurors are already here. We're safe. You're safe"

Somehow, even in all this chaos and pain, Draco still managed to make everything quiet, make everything still – make everything okay.

"I love you" I whispered and let myself sunk in Draco's arms more.

"I love you too" Draco whispered back, gently kissing the top of my head a few times.

×

End of year 5

×