Chapter 4

Freen walks between the wreckage, stepping over metal and fallen trees and… things she doesn’t want to think about, can’t look at too hard.

Every single bone in her body aches.

August didn’t want to come. She killed him.

And Becky…

Freen doesn’t know how she could do this without Becky. Life. Everything. Even taking one more step feels impossible, but she forces herself to do it.

“Patricia!”

There’s no answer.

Like the last hundred times she’s screamed any one of their names.

It was her idea to come. Or was it Becky's? Freen can’t remember.

Anything from before the tsunami hit feels like a distant dream, as the present is a foggy, never ending nightmare.

“Becky! August!” She tries again.

Someone looks up at her right, but it’s just an old man, sitting still, dumbfounded.

In another life, Freen would have stopped to help. But he looks fine, physically and her family might not be, so she keeps walking.

She goes from thinking them all dead to believing they’re alive and waiting for her from one second to another. It gives her whiplash.

“Patricia!”

She is so small.

Freen wants to throw up.

She was so small when she was born.

Freen screamed and cried and pushed, and then this strange little creature just slid out from between her legs. Becky's face when she caught her is one of the best memories she has. It was worth it. The pain and the exhaustion. All the months she spent
second-guessing herself.

Freen's foot collides with a piece of fabric, and after a day full of walking and oozing open cuts, it’s the smallest thing which brings her down.

She barely feels the sting on her knees when she lands.

Because it’s not a piece of fabric, it’s a torn, sodden stuffed animal, which once was a pristine white bunny.

“Bec..- Becky....,” she gasps out, her fingers digging in the mud, her chest breaking open.

“Becky.., I lost our baby.”

/f/

“…my nipples hurt.”

“Want me to kiss them better?”

“No offense, Bec, but a mouth on my boobs is the last thing I want.”

Becky kisses her shoulder instead.

“I love you, I love you, I love you.” Becky drops a kiss to her lips. “I’ll give her a bottle,” she says.

“No, bring her, it’s okay-”

“Babe, you’re hurting. She can have a bottle every once in a while, okay?”

Freen looks to the floor, to the crib in the corner of the room.

“You never gave Billy bottles.”

“Babe, look at me.”

Suddenly there’s a finger on her chin, and Freen looks up into her wife’s eyes.