Chapter 2

Freen starts with her shoulders, brushes her lips over the freckles brought on by the sun. Waking Becky up in the morning has long since been one of her favorite activities, bleary eyes and morning breath notwithstanding.

She loves her wife first thing in the morning. She kisses Becky's cheek, brushes away the sweaty hair stuck to her forehead from a night under the covers. Becky's nose scrunches up, and Freen smiles.

“Merry Christmas,” she whispers, pressing a kiss to Becky's lips.

The corners turn up in a smile.

“It’s 5 in the morning,” Becky complains, but still turns a little, opening her arms for Freen to come closer, cuddle right up to her.

“I know. Sorry.”

Becky doesn’t open her eyes.

“Shhh, come back to bed,” she says.

Freen kisses her nose.

"We are in bed,” she says, laying her head back down on the pillow, her forehead against her wife’s.

“Let’s go back to sleep, then,” Becky says, throwing her arm over Freen's waist.

“I have a better idea,” Freen says quietly, letting her hands wander.

“Oh.” Becky melts even further against her. “I like your idea better. You’re so smart. I’m so glad I married you.”

Freen hides a chuckle against Becky's cheek.

“Wait, is the door-”

“Locked,” Freen affirms. She double-checked. “You awake yet?” she asks Becky.

“Very,” Becky says, and Freen holds back a moan as Becky pulls the covers over their heads.

//

"How many was that?" Freen asks her later, a cocky smile on her face. "Four? It was four."

"Shut up, babe," Becky says, towel drying her hair as she walks out of the bathroom. Freen just stares at her, knowing her smile can't be helped.

It's early still, very early, not a sound coming from the kid's rooms.

"We should go wake them for a change," Becky suggests, and Freen nods.

They sneak into the room, the first rays of sun brightening up the space.

Patricia lays on her side, her lips open in a pout. Billy clutches his pillow, the sheet -as usual- pooling at his feet. August is dead to the world too, his arm thrown over his face.

Freen and Becky look at each other for a second, before nodding and charging in.

Billy squeals when Becky begins tickling, confusion giving way to a fit of giggles.

"What the hell?!" August exclaims, inevitably laughing as Freen tickles him. She's going to give him this one and let go the small curse.

The ruckus wakes up Patricia, and her big eyes open wide, confused. Freen braces for her to start crying but she stays very quiet, and suddenly giggles at her brothers.

All in all, it's not a bad start to their day.

Becky made Freen promise that she wouldn't buy Christmas presents for them, that the trip was going to be everyone's present this year.

Freen did not listen. She's also pretty sure that Becky knows she packed presents for everyone, even if she hid them in their bag, because her wife always takes one last look at everything to make sure they're prepared. Becky did not say anything.