After a few minutes, I got myself together and pulled away. Wiping my eyes and my cheeks, I sniffled and looked at Hunter properly. "What happened?"

He tugged on my arm until I sat next to him, then he took my hand in his. My black hair tie was still in his wrist. "A drunk asshole. That's what happened. Nothing serious-"

"You're in the hospital!" I said. "If course it's serious."

He squeezed my hand. "I have a concussion. So they want to keep an eye on me for tonight. That's all."

I let out a shuddering breath. "Where were you looking? I should just drive you around from now on. You can't be trusted with a car."

He smiled. "You do that."

"What happened to the asshole?" I asked.

"Police took care of him," he said.

There was a soft knock on the door before it opened. The woman who peeked then walked inside was barely five feet tall. Her graying dark hair was pulled in a low bun. She looked to be in her mid fifties, and the sweater and black trousers she wore couldn't hide her bony frame. She stood proud and walked with reassured steps, however. Her kind smile lining her tanned face. Was she Hunter's mother?

I made a move to stand up. Hunter's hand stopped me.

"And who's this beautiful young lady?" she asked, putting a tote bag on the dresser beside Hunter's bed.

"Tia Sofia," Hunter said, "this is Sapphire, my girlfriend."

Tia Sofia's eyes widened behind thick spectacles. "This is Sapphire?" She put her hands on my arms and squeezed. "Oh, it's very nice to finally meet you. Hunter speaks about you a lot."

Hunter groaned. "Tia Sofia..."

I bit back a smile, my spirit rising at the sight of Hunter's pink-tipped ears. "Nice to meet you."

Tia Sofia's smile twinkled her eyes. She patted mine and Hunter's linked hands. "Nice to meet you, too."

She pulled out a tumbler from the tote bag and put it on the bedside table. "I made you a smoothie. I know you're too spoiled for hospital food."

Hunter huffed. "I'm fine."

Tia Sofia smiled and winked at me. I liked her already.

She wasn't Hunter's mother, but the two seemed very close. And it looked like she cared about him a great deal.

Tia Sofia emptied the tote bag. There were water bottles, another tumbler with what she said was soup, and a container of cut fruits. She stacked all of it on the bedside table within reach of Hunter's hand and folded the tote bag.

"Well, I better hurry home," she said. "Your mother and father are coming here."

A look passed between the two of them.

Hunter sighed. "Why?"

Tia Sofia simply patted his cheek, her eyes soft and a little sad. "I'll be going." She looked at me and gave me a smile that lit up her eyes. "I'm glad I finally met you, Sapphire. Thank you for looking after Hunter."

"Oh, I don't really- you're welcome," I said.

Tia Sofia left after another pat at Hunter's cheek. The door closed behind her with a quiet snick.

Hunter picked up the smoothie tumbler and took a sip. "Tia Sofia's been working for my family since I was born," he said. "She practically raised me. I guess you could say she's been a mother to me. Well, better than my real mother, that's for sure"