1. Nightmares

"Because I carry it well, doesn't mean it's not heavy."

"Dad?"

"Dad?"

The high-pitched voice contrasted with the eerie silence of the dark night.

"Dad, mom, where are you?"

I watched as the little girl, too young to understand anything, stumbled around the wreckage desperately.

As she came to a halt, the thick black smoke covered her like a heavy blanket, the rain had already ceased by now. She cried, her small body quivering and eyes bloodshot, as the deadly fire danced around her, occasionally stabbing at her delicate skin.

I wished to scream, to run away, but my body stood there paralyzed, watching the all too familiar scene play in front of my eyes.

I could hear the crackling of the flames, the blazing of the engine, the sirens of an ambulance, and the sound of multiple footsteps.

My mouth opened to let out a blood-curdling scream but the voice didn't come from me, oh no, it came from the little girl as the paramedics rushed her towards the ambulance.

And the reality became as clear as the sky after rain. There was no difference between me and her.

'She was my past and I was her future.'

It was not my NIGHTMARE but my REALITY.

I could feel her pain, the sadness, and the confusion. The car let out its final and the loudest blare.....

Abruptly, I woke up, panting heavily as the cold sweat covered my shivering body.

Before I could comprehend anything, Bhai bolted into my room, almost pulling the door off its hinges in the process.

(Brother)

"Bh-bhai?"

"Shh, it's alright, champ. Calm down. Look I am here with you and will always be." He whispered.

He pulled me into a bear hug, stroking my head. I nestled my head into the crook of his neck, allowing his comfort to chase away my nightmares. I breathed in his comforting smell and gradually my breath returned to normal.

"Good?" he asked in a low tone.

"Yes, good!" I replied, my voice came out muffled by his bare chest.

I pulled out of the hug to look at him and his slightly teary eyes. I weakly smiled at him and looked at the clock behind him. It read 4:52 AM. I sighed defeatedly.

"Sorry bhai, you worked till late in your office and I still woke you up so early in the morning." My voice came out hoarse from screaming.

He squished my cheeks and looked straight into my eyes. "You are my world Sunshine and I love you the most."