𝟎𝟎𝟔

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟔
𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐡𝐚𝐦

Adeline stood alone in the museum, admiring the artwork around her. At the start of this mission she was told that Grace would handle Inspector Campbell but here she was, waiting for him to turn up.

She nervously looked over her shoulder when hearing heavy footsteps.

"We meet at last— Princess." He said quietly. Adeline swallowed hard and nodded her head at him lightly. "I believe i've been sent here in replacement for Grace. She couldn't make it." Adeline informed him.

She was not aware anybody would be to find out who she really was. Especially not him.

He hummed in agreement. "He's obviously not stupid," Campbell began, referring to Tommy. "All we found was stolen tobacco and whiskey."

"Which you left in place?" Adeline furrowed her brows together.

"Of course. I would never endanger you.." the pair moved across the room. "You're doing well, Adeline." He placed his arm around hers and she stiffened under his touch. "I've been working on Arthur, he's easier." She gritted through her teeth.

"And Thomas?"

"Yes." Was all she said. There was no way she was going to expose the situation they had in the church. A part of her was screaming for her to keep quiet.

"Less intelligent?"

"Yes." She guessed, unsure what he meant.

"Is that a word you'd use for Thomas?" Campbell followed her. "It's your word." Adeline retorted. "He had promoted me— he wants me to be his book keeper and secretary." There she went. She exposed the church situation to a certain extent.

"A cutthroat gangster with a secretary— who is our princess might I add?" He muttered.

"You are not to mention such things." Adeline hissed at him.

"The pretensions of these hoodlums are quite breathtaking are they not?" Campbell ignored her. Adeline spun on her heels and began walking, "yes, quite breathtaking." She mocked with a sigh.

Once again he follows her.

"He's obviously fallen quite heavily for you." He accused. Adeline quirked up an eyebrow. "You do not get to try and make me apart of your plan like you are doing with Grace. I stick to the plan and instructions i've been given. This is a one off— next time you'll meet with Grace." She said sternly.

"I just hope you remember who you're dealing with here."

Adeline scoffed. "I hope you remember who you're talking to." She snapped back. Campbell pursed his lips together and looked down for a moment.

-

Adeline stood wiping tables and looked up when Tommy placed his empty glass down. "Get another glass," he instructed with a pleasant look on his face.

She did so and watched him pour whiskey into both. "Can you make a toast?" Tommy asked, staring at her softly. Adeline grinned. "I can make a million toasts— may you be in heaven a half hour before the devil knows you're dead." Adeline grinned, clicking her glass against his. "What are we celebrating?" She asked as he swallowed the contents of the glass.

"A contract of employment." He handed her a piece of paper.

"Book keeper, Shelby Brothers Limited," Adeline read out. "Don't like that word...limited." Tommy sighed. "To be respectable you have to be limited." She reminded him.