𝟎𝟎𝟒

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟒
𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐡𝐚𝐦, 𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡

Grace approached Adeline in the back room of the Garrison whilst she hung her coat up to get ready for her shift. "Do you not know that it isn't right to sneak up on people like that?" Adeline asked, unamused with the blonde's action.

Grace winced slightly. "Sorry." She said. "I met with Campbell last night."

"And?" Adeline waited for her to begin telling her about what the conversation involved. Because for whatever reason, Grace seemed to stall before ever getting to the point of her conversation.

"Campbell claims that Mr Shelby is the beginning, middle and end of our mission." She began, "He said one of us need to do everything we can to get close to him— and find out where the guns are hidden." Grace fiddled with her hands anxiously, a strange look on her face.

"I'll do it." Adeline offered. "You stick to the talking and eavesdropping. I'll try and get close to him— I feel i'm already half way there." She said.

"When Campbell said do everything you can..he didn't exactly mean everything." Grace said.

"Don't underestimate me, Grace." She replied bluntly, walking around her to go back into the main part of the pub.

"Evening, Harry." She let out a breath and gave him a friendly smile. Harry looked up from wiping the bar and nodded at her. "The Shelby's are waiting on beer, the bucket is just there." Harry said.

She nodded in response and carefully carried the bucket of beer over to where the Shelby brothers were sitting. "Did you want whiskey as well?" She asked them, placing it on the table.

John looked up from his game of cards and looked over at Tommy. "No, just beer." Tommy declined.

Arthur frowned. "Why no whiskey, Tom?" He asked his younger brother. John went back to playing his game of cards. "You expecting trouble?"

The singing outside the room loudened and John snorted with laughter. "Jesus Christ, Tom. What the bloody hell made you let them sing? It's like they're strangling cats out there." John's laughter was slightly contagious.

"Alright, twenty is the play come on." Arthur chuckled, urging John to continue the game.

Adeline glanced at Thomas, knowing the singing was her doing.

"Now what did make you change your mind though, Tommy?" Arthur hummed and watched Adeline walk out.

The boys weren't wrong about the awful singing that had filled the pub. But it was nice to hear the people being happy. All of a sudden, everybody fell silent and turned away from the doors.

"Holy shit," Harry whispered, "it's Billy Kimber."

Adeline looked over and was met with a dark haired man who had a gun in hand. "Is there any man named Shelby?" He called out. Nobody replied. Adeline swallowed hard. Kimber sent a shot into the roof. "I said, is there any man here named Shelby?" He raised his voice.

Harry looked at Adeline and discreetly shook his head to ensure she kept quiet.

Soon enough, Tommy had exited the snug with his brothers. "Harry, get these men a drink." He instructed calmly. "Everybody else go home." He said.

Adeline accepted the tray of whiskey and glasses that Harry had shoved into her hands and slowly walked to the table. She placed it down and looked at Tommy nervously. "You go home." He looked back at her.

Adeline stood straight. "But Mr Fenton said—"

"I said go home." Tommy repeated. Adeline nodded slightly and clasped her hands in front of her to walk away.