𝟎𝟎𝟓

𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟓
𝐒𝐦𝐚𝐥𝐥 𝐇𝐞𝐚𝐭𝐡, 𝐁𝐢𝐫𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠𝐡𝐚𝐦

Adeline sat at the head of the table, slouching in her chair as her father spoke. "I believe that it has been confirmed the guns are in fact with the Peaky Blinders." He said.

She yawned and leaned her head back. "That was confirmed weeks ago, father." She retorted.

James scowled at his daughter and took a seat. He had called a meeting in a council building not too far from where Adeline had been staying. She thought it was pointless because no meeting would speed up the process of finding the guns.

"I have told you once and i'll tell you again, you will receive updates when me or Inspector Campbell see fit. As of now, there is not much to update you on. So with permission— i'd like to leave." Adeline pushed her chair away from the table.

Anne looked to James and nodded once. He sighed and ran a hand over his face. "You have permission."

"Very well." She said, wasting no time to get to the door.

"Oh but— Adeline!" He stopped her as she opened it. She let out a frustrated breath and glanced over her shoulder. "Do not let that man lay a finger on you. You cannot afford to be falling into his web." He said.

She raised an eyebrow and scoffed. Adeline didn't reply to his pathetic comment. Instead she finally exited the room and slammed the door behind her.

-

Upon arriving back in Small Heath, Adeline was met with the sight of police officers breaking their way into a home. She paused and laid her eyes on Inspector Campbell who stood smoking a pipe.

He looked over and locked eyes with her, removing his pipe and grinning at her.

Only seconds later, a man was dragged from his home. She swallowed hard and turned the other way, not wanting to be too close to the Inspector.

She knew the Garrison would be empty due to the time so that's where she went. And to her surprise, Arthur was already in there counting up money in the back room.

Hanging up her coat, she peaked her head around the door. "Afternoon, Mr Shelby." She flashed him a soft smile.

He momentarily looked up and nodded to her. "Adeline." He grunted.

She looked at the box that had been left on the table and went to open it, screwing her face up at the strange smell that left it. "These cigarettes have a strange smell, Arthur." She said.

"They smell like rotting water and look," she handed him a box, "rats have gotten into some of them.•

Arthur took the box and examined it. "They're stolen, are they not?" Adeline questioned. Arthur hummed, "don't ask."

"They smell cause you keep them in the boat?"

"What do you care, eh? Now can you come and check my adding up." He asked, sounding fairly demanding. "Please." Arthur added.

She walked to him and peered over his shoulder. "You know— you should make a new start to this place, do it properly. These cigarettes are not fit to sell."

"Smells like Gallipoli." He sniffed.

"You should find a new place to store them." She suggested, correcting some of the numbers he had written down on the paper.