The look he gives me isn't one of being impressed. "Did you at least think to take a weapon before you left the safety of Court behind?" there's a tone of him being ready not to be impressed again.

"I did. And a full set of armor, and my bow." My shoulders sag. "I didn't think to bring arrows."

He chuckles. "I'll give you forgetting one thing when you managed to plan ahead that much."

I perk up and start equipping my armor, one piece at a time, but since it's only exchanging what I'm wearing with what in my inventory, it's quick.

"That doesn't look like anything Court makes," he says, once I'm changed.

"It was...a gift."

He sighs. "Anyone going to come after us to reclaim it?"

"No, I swear, it was given to me."

"Kid, I don't care..." he shakes his head. "Alright. Here are the rules. You do what your team lead tells you. If your skill set isn't called for, you either help as best you can, or you stay out of the way. I'm guessing you didn't think to bring food or water."

I shake my head and forcefully keep my shoulders from sagging.

"I guess adding one to the meal split isn't going to cause a revolt. You know how to cook?"

"Skill's eleven," I answer. "I enjoy cooking, but we're kept busy with classes and training until we get our class, so I never got to do it as much as I wanted."

"Do you always need to explain your answers?"

"Sorry," I look at the ground.

"Don't—" he bites back the rest.

"Chuck, you mind if I take charge of him?" I recognize the voice and Herbert steps next to me.

"Better you than me, Herb." He heads to the front of the cart. "All Right! Rest's over. Send word along the line we're about to get moving again."

"Where are the animals?" I ask as I realize they aren't before the cart.

"Oh, this is going to be worth walking faster," Herbert says, then motions for me to look ahead when I stare at him.

Chuck steps in front of the cart and picks something off the ground. When he stands, there's a harness of thick leather and metal over his vest. He hooks what he's holding to each side of the harness, then on each shoulder.

"What is he..." I trail off as Chuck walks until the chains reach full tension. He leans forward, and I'm about to ask again just what is going on, when the wheels creek and I jump aside in surprise. Herbert keeps me from falling.

Chuck has a foot forward, and the cart slowly creaks a centimeter, then another, and again.

"Come on," Herbert says, "we need to get to our posts."

I keep on staring as Chuck takes a full step forward, pulling the largest cart I've ever seen, filled with all sorts of metal stuff.

"Dennis," Herbert calls, and the tone of command pulls me away. I run to join him, and then we are walking at a brisk pace past much smaller carts pulled by a variety of animals.

"How strong is he?"

Herbert shrugs. "Never asked. Does Josie know you left?"

I swallow. "I couldn't tell her. Base would have heard, and he'd have to tell dad if he was ordered to. I'm the commander's grandson," I add at his raised eyebrow.

"And you're running away from that?"

"I don't think it's running away when you're an adult. I'm striking out on my own."