Chapter 02

"Eat up," Grandpa Louis says, lobbing a shiny something over his shoulder. The monster screeches at the action and lunges for him. "Oh, I don't think so."

As I catch the foil wrapped bar, he punches the head. There's a flash of energy from the impact and the monster's head whips away, pulling its body and leaving gouges in the ground where its claws are planted.

"Base!" he snaps. "Where did this thing come from? Tell me they haven't somehow gained stealth capability."

I don't hear the answer. Base can't speak outside his walls, other than by the speakers atop them and we're too far for that, but Grandpa and him are connected, since he's the Base Commander.

I quickly unwrap the bar so I'll be healed. It's one of Mister Roger's revitalizing snacks. He's a cook slash alchemist who Base has a contract with for combat related foods. The bulk of what he makes for Base is like this one, quick healing plus a regenerative buff.

"Come on," Grandpa Louis says to the monster as he motions for it to attack. "Don't turn shy on me now." It doesn't lunge. Whatever it is, it's smart enough to learn from pain. It paces left and right, studying him.

As soon as I swallow the last bite, my health jumps up, and the regen buff appears in the top left of my sight.

Roger's Revitalizing Bar

2:00:00

Two hours? I didn't think that lasted so long.

I've only had one of the bars Mister Rogers sells from his shop, and that one only lasted fifteen minutes. It was my twelfth birthday present from Grandpa. A way for me to mess around with the older boys without dad having to worry about me getting injured. Dad hates those bars. Says all they do is get people to think they're invincible and get themselves killed.

The monster screeches and runs at Grandpa as I push myself to my feet. Maybe it isn't that smart after all. It stops at the last moment and pivots. Grandpa swears and raises both arms to take the coming tail's impact. There's another flash of energy, and he's launched straight into a building, cracking the wall.

"Okay." He pushed himself away. "I guess you want to play hardball." He takes a step and jumps. His boots glow as he goes up way higher than should be possible. Ten, maybe fifteen meters. Then, he doesn't so much fall, as propels himself down at it.

The impact blinds me, and the shockwave pressed me against the wall. When my sight clears, the dust is settling, and Grandpa's getting to his feet. The creature doesn't move. The icon in the lower left for my combat log flashes blue. If I had a class, that'd tell me I gained experience.

In a few days. Only a few more days to go.

This means it's dead.

I focus on it.

Drakoling, Level 5

Perception check successful

A precursor to the more dangerous Dragon, the Drakoling thrives in higher Aether regions, rarely traveling the border of their mating territory except under duress.

Huh, it's not often my fifteen in perception's high enough to get the basics.

Cryptozoology check unsuccessful

Or triggers a check for a more appropriate skills.

"You didn't answer my question," Grandpa states, tapping the side of his helmet, which causes the visor to split and retract to the left and right.