"Polar Bear, do I look pretty?" Annika asked Nethys, who had been silent for a while. He glanced at the child for a mere second and let out a low scoff that left Annika bewildered. "What does that mean? Do I look ugly?"

"Hindi!" Erwan quickly replied. "Walang taste of fashion 'yang tinanong mo. Kita mo nga di'ba puro puti lang sinusuot niyan? Maganda ka, Annika. Maling tao lang tinanong mo," he added, grinning widely as if daring Nethys for a retort.

Nethys narrowed his eyebrows and was aiming to hit Erwan with his fist when I interrupted. "Boys, don't display violence in front of my daughter," I uttered with a firm voice, raising an eyebrow to emphasize my point.

Nethys left with another scoff. "I'll leave first." Before walking away, he cast a parting glance at Annika. "You look ugly with that ribbon, pet," he retorted, leaving Annika pouting.

"He didn't mean that, child," I reassured her. "You look beautiful in any dress you wear. That's a trademark of having Reidensteigh blood; they always look good in everything," I continued, hoping to dispel any lingering discomfort.

"You think so, Mommy? Is that why you said father looked good when he wore something non-regal?" she asked, catching me off guard. When did I share that with her?

"Kind of?" I replied with a carefully balanced smile. It seemed like I might be at a disadvantage in conversations with this child.

She let out a giggle, and I couldn't help but join in, though it also deepened the ache for Roshan's presence. Taking a deep breath, I straightened up, the corset constricting but necessary for today's regal celebration. I can't wait to finish this day and change into a comfortable wardrobe.

"The guests are waiting, your grace."

Sir Hasan's interruption drew our attention, prompting a collective movement towards the event. I held my daughter's hand, only to sense a shift from warmth to coldness.

"What's wrong, Annika?" I asked, concern etched on my face. Bending slightly, our gazes met. Her eyes reflected fear and nervousness, prompting me to caress her in an attempt to ease the unease.

"Mommy, when will the duke arrive?" she innocently inquired. Her beautiful eyes carried a mix of longing and hope. "Would my father miss my birthday again?"

Right. Since Annabelle's passing on the same day Annika was born, Roshan hadn't celebrated this event each year. I had compelled him to mark their daughter's birthday this time, but uncertainty lingered about their timely arrival.

Blessime's recent letter arrived yesterday, and Magnus had mentioned the possibility of arriving before sunset, barring setbacks. Maski ako ay nababahala rin sa haharapin nilang paglalakbay pauwi, pero nanaig pa rin sa aking isip na makakauwi sila ng matiwasay.

I forced a smile. "He promised us, and the Duke of Reidensteigh doesn't break promises. He will come, child. He needs to," I reassured, though the uncertainty still gnawed at me.

I stood up and reached for her hand once more. With a smile etched on our faces, we strolled toward the place in the mansion where her birthday will be celebrated.

The wide ballroom of the mansion was changed into a garden-themed party; there are only a few trusted guests, including Annika's tutors. As we both walked towards the center, the guests' eyes followed us with curiosity.

"Look, it's the Duchess and the young lady," one of the guests' daughters whispered to another child, their hushed excitement filling the air. Mga kaklase ito ni Annika, total gusto rin naman namin na may mga bata sa event kahit pa may nangyayaring hindi kaaya-aya sa buong lungsod.

I guided Annika to a wooden throne adorned with leaves and butterflies at the center. "Annika, my darling, sit here. This is your special day," I said, helping her onto the throne. The guests then erupted in soft applause, their faces beaming with joy.