"Are Amber and Sofia invited too?"

"Yes!" Kantee pressed his hands to his father's cheeks. His happiness was a blanket of warmth that engulfed Build and softly mended his broken heart. He didn't want to let go. even as he reached his chair next to Wichapas, he stood behind it holding onto Bear for a little longer, sucking his cheeks between his teeth to move his lips like a fish. Kantee giggled.

Build eventually sat to the right of his husband, and that pull he had been feeling before was momentarily suspended. Instead he placed his arm over the back of Bear's chair to make sure he stayed put and didn't end up leaning toward his husband again. The kids sat between him and Sofia.

Sofia could tell something was wrong. She looked over Build's face and shot worried glances at Wichapas. She had met Build as a sad divorcee, but it was the first time she was meeting the bitter husband of Wichapas Sumettikul.

Build did his best to keep up with conversation throughout the meal, but Sofia's anxious glances at the man beside him never stopped. Eventually Build did a discreet sweep of the room so he could catch a glimpse of his husband.

Wichapas was typing a message on his phone, cap low on his face. His jaw was obviously clenched, his breathing a little bit faster than normal. The pizza in front of him was untouched just like Build's. There was a small flash of satisfaction at seeing his lack of a good mood.

Luuk went missing from the event. Build heard commentary on the matter as they cleared the tables. He pretended he didn't hear or ignored the conversation all together.

Luckily the girls were up to going back to the field. Sofia helped ease the tension by keeping a lively conversation with the kids on the way. At the field, Wichapas followed the children while Build and Sofia set up a picnic area under the shade of a giant tree. It was already past four and the day was finally starting to cool.

To his surprise, Sofia didn't ask a single question. She laid down on the large blanket using one of her arms as a pillow while her other arm held up a book.

Build took his time looking for a suitable playlist, and that distracted him for a moment, but eventually he had to give in and ask, "You really aren't going to ask me anything?"

Build was sitting lotus style next to Sofia, shoes off. Upon his question, Sofia put her book down over her chest to look up at him contemplatively.

"Number one: I know it was something Luuk did. Bible wouldn't be that mad about anything else." Sofia let go of her book to use her fingers to count. "Number two: I got the hang of it already. If I push right now you will make an excuse not to tell me anything. I have to wait until you want to tell me. Number three: I honestly don't think I even want to know. You look like a ghost, and he looks like he's about to make someone a ghost."

Despite Build's mood he found himself smiling at the three fingers his friend held up at him. He sighed in relief. Sofia's light-heartedness eased a little bit of the loneliness that had been creeping up since they were leaving the field.

"Do you think I'm pathetic, Sofia?" Build's question had his friend sitting up right, gaze settling at the same level.

"Why would I think you are pathetic? You are just another human stuck in a particular situation in life. Isn't that the same for the rest of the world? My husband's work-related death is suspicious, and I can't do anything about it. It left me raising a genius child on my own in a foreign country, with a wealth I have never even thought possible. Sometimes I think that's pretty pathetic too, but it just is what it is. We make the best with what we have. That's all we can do."

It was somehow what Build needed. He nodded his agreement and exhaled. The pressure in his chest lessened.

"Could I give you unsolicited advice, though?" Sofia requested, and Build nodded again. "I think it's time to talk to him, Biu. I was watching him while you were setting up; he looked scared like you were planning an escape." Sofia was looking far away, and Build followed her gaze.