Chapter 3

"Sir!' Harold Bride yelled. He dashed down the corridor to catch up to Captain Smith, who turned his head at the call, though he never stopped walking, Harold was soon able to catch up to him. "We've made contact with the Carpathia, and she's on her way here at full speed." "She's the only one who's responded?" Captain Smith asked. He looked up from the paper that Harold had handed him. "The only one close, sir." Harold replied. "Says she can be here in four hours." He then added.  "Four hours?!" Captain Smith repeated. He was rightfully shocked, as he very well knew just how long Titanic would hold out. "Thank you, Mr. Bride." Smith then said, allowing Harold to go off. At the same quick pace, Harold rushes back to the Wireless room. When he returns, he finds John writing something down. "What are you writing?" He asked. "Something for someone." Harold watched his friend in silence. Was John already aware of his possible fate? Was Titanic really going down? How would the next few hours unfold? How would it all play out?.. How would it finally end?..  
SOS was still somewhat of a new distress call, only being first used about three years prior. "Try sending SOS." Harold said. "It may be your only chance to use it!" He joked. With a chuckle, John tapped out the new call.
"SOS. SOS. THIS IS TITANIC. WE HAVE STRUCK A BERG. SINKING. WOMEN AND CHILDREN BEING PUT OFF IN BOATS. IMMEDIATE ASSISTANCE NEEDED. POSITION 41.46 N. 50.14 W.
When this all started, Harold was still in his night clothes. Now, he looked down at himself. "I look like a fool. I'm gonna go change." As Harold changed into his uniform, John updated him with the ships they've made contact with. "I'm picking up the Olympic's signal." By this time, Harold was fully dressed in his uniform and he walked out into the main room. "The Olympic? Quite strange, don't you think?" Harold replied. "I'm starting to lose power." John said. "John, you should really take a break and let me take over. You're exhausted and I'm on the upper hand." Still John didn't rise from the table. "What time is it?" John asked. Harold looked at the clock before answering. "12:59." John didn't reply. Power. They needed power. And they were beginning to lose it. "We could lose power at any moment. I'm switching us over to the emergency set!" Harold leans into the adjoining room, and switches a lever down, enabling Titanic's emergency power set. He goes back into the main room. John immediately states what he's hearing from the Olympic. "Olympic is radioing in."
"Position: 41.52 N. 69.18 W.
Are you steering southerly to meet us?"
"What the bloody hell is Olympic thinking?!" Harold exclaimed. Didn't she already hear the urgent messages of her sister? "How are we supposed to steer down to meet her if we're bloody sinking?!" John exclaimed. At this point it just seemed like the Olympic's operator was a downright fool. But John didn't care; the call for help was what was important. From the beginning of her calls for distress, ships and onshore radio stations were calling the attention of all ships and stations, stating Titanic's distress.
"ATTENTION ALL STATIONS: TITANIC IS SENDING CQD. SAYS ASSISTANCE IS NEED. POSITION 41.46 N. 50.14 W."
Thankfully, Olympic was not foolish for long and she began to head in the direction of her distressed sister, but she was far off, and wouldn't be arriving for quite some time.
"CAPTAIN IS NOTIFIED. HEADING YOUR WAY."
"Here, let's get this lifebelt on you, just for safe measures." Harold said. With John still at the desk working, Harold straps a lifebelt to him, as well as putting his own on. Time was going by, and all jokes were forgotten. Meanwhile, Titanic's messages were only growing more and more urgent. "Are you sure you're okay to keep working? You're damn right exhausted." Harold said. "I'll be fine." John replied. Harold was about to go into the adjoining cabin to get their stuff together when John stopped him. "Harold," "Yes?" Harold replied, turning back to face him. "If you manage to make it, can you give this to-" "Kitty?" Harold finished. John nodded. "Yes, to Kitty. Keep it safe." Harold nodded.
Sleep didn't come easily for Kitty that night. She had a terrible nightmare. She envisioned Titanic, where she saw the Wireless Cabin, and her beloved working at the desk. But what she saw next was perhaps beyond unpleasant for lack of better words. She saw a corridor, most likely leading to the same Wireless cabin. Standing at the other end, not far, was John Phillips. With his usual uniform on, he wore a bulky cork made life jacket. Flowing between them, acting like an uncrossable precipice was water. From head on, it was as if the corridor was slightly tilted. The water was freezing, not yet high enough to reach one's knees, but still rested a little bit above the ankles. The flow of the water never seemed to stop. Why was the Titanic sinking? In her perspective, she saw her own hand reach out toward John. "I'm so sorry, my darling. I'll be gone a little longer than I thought. Until we meet again, my love." No matter how much Kitty wanted to move, her legs were stuck where they were. She then stirred awake, still laying in bed. Sitting up, she listened to the silence. Was something wrong? Truthfully, she did not know. She couldn't tell. Perhaps it was just a feeling brought forth from the nightmare she just emerged from. Somehow, Kitty was able to fall back asleep. 
By now, things were getting more and more desperate. And no smile could be found on neither Harold, nor John's faces. Still, Titanic sent out distress call after distress call.
"CQD. SOS. CQD. SOS. THIS IS TITANIC. SINKING. BOILER ROOM FLOODED. LOSING POWER. COME AT ONCE. POSITION 41.46 N. 50.14 W. COME AT ONCE. CQD. SOS."
There was a noticeable tilt to the ship, one which was more pronounced than before. The lights were beginning to dim, yet in a way, they were fully a blaze. The power was draining further and further as well, as Titanic herself slowly sank further and further under the black, icy water to her grave waiting two and a half miles below the ocean surface. "Men," The voice of Captain Smith rang out, and the two men turned their attention towards the man. "You have done your full duty; you can do no more. Abandon your cabin. Now it's every man for himself." He said. And with that, Captain Smith left for the last time; John, however, stayed at the desk. "John, we have to leave! Didn't you hear the Captain? We've done all we can and there's nothing more we can do!" "More power, Harold! I need more power!" John said. Harold did so, but could find very little power. "We're losing it... that's all we have left..."

Harold was in the adjoining cabin, collecting their stuff when an unexpected visitor came into the room and approached John, who was still at the desk, not batting an eyelash, exhaustion taking its toll on his mind somewhat. The man was a stoker from below decks, one who worked in the boiler rooms shoveling coal into the furnaces. He removed the headset from John's head, and the clatter alerted Harold. The stoker was trying to take John's lifebelt. "What do you think you're doing?! John! John, get him off! Get your bloody own!" Harold yelled, shoving at the unknown man. This man was part of Titanic's crew, he should have known where to find his lifebelt. Titanic carried enough lifebelt for everyone, yet, the pursuing chaos meant that many people were left without one. Compared to this man, and maybe even John himself, Harold was a small man, yet he went forth and attacked the unknown thief, enraged. For the first time, John stood up from the desk. Harold could hear the sound of rushing water. He felt like he was somewhat lost in a trance as we watched John throw a punch at the unknown man, as he fell onto the floor that was already starting to flow with water. "He's not moving..." Harold said. "Let him rot." John said. The two men abandon the Wireless Cabin. While Harold went forward, John went aft. The two men had now split up. It was just like Captain Smith said, "Now, it's every man for himself". Harold Bride would never see John Phillips again.