Chapter 1

A little over a week later, John sat down at the desk in Titanic's small wireless room. The desk was in the middle room, what you see when you first walk in. To your left, assuming you're facing the desk, is a small cabin where a small sink, closet and one bunk bed is, containing two beds total. The doorway is covered by a curtain. Across, and to the desk's right side, is another room, this one having an actual door, which is called 'the silent room', where most of the equipment is located. Harold Bride set a small latched box down on the chair in the small, curtained living quarter, letting out a breath of air. "Well, this is small." He commented. "Luxurious nonetheless, but small." He added. "Yeah, we better get used to it though. Something tells me you and I will be in this small room a lot!" John replied jokingly. Harold chuckled. Harold did love the luxuries of what he's seen so far, and he was very delighted-honored even-to be on the White Star Line's newest ship. At twelve noon, Titanic's whistles blew loud, signaling to all those near that it was time for her to leave and it wasn't long before John and Harold had their hands full with their first helping of passenger messages. The next day, April 11, was John's 25th birthday.
"My beloved, Kitty, I wish you a splendid good day! As you know, it is my twenty-fifth, and oh how I wish I could be together with you on this day, but just as a picture carries one thousand words, so does my own words that I send to you. To me, the only picture that truly speaks one thousand words, if not more, is the pictures of you and I together, as well as Harold, too. But as of now, these written words are only addressed to you, my beloved. Hold my picture close to your heart, dearest, as I shall do the same until we meet in person again, my love.
J. Phillips"

When his first letter finally reached her, Kitty was overjoyed. Around her neck was a locket she always wore. Safely kept within was a picture of her beloved. "Until we meet again, my love." She said, looking at his heart shaped photo. Meanwhile, miles and miles away, Harold had just started his shift, and John was now turning in for the next few hours. "Until we meet again, my love." He whispered, looking at his own heart shaped photo of Kitty before falling asleep.

The bed seemed larger to Kathleen, nonetheless more empty without John's presence. She grows so used to feeling his warmth. So used to the feeling of his arms wrapped around her, but now, when John is off at sea, she's only left with the empty space beside her, patiently waiting for him to return home.