01.6: better angels

In which our hero mourns

______________________

"The day, after today..." John sang along as he fiddled with the stereo, trying to get the mp3 player to connect. He was supposed to be cataloguing the things they'd found, but at the end of the day, a piece of paper wasn't going to change anything. They just wanted to give him something to do where he wasn't limping in the way.

"I will stop, and I will start -" He continued singing, plugging a wire into the tangled mess at the back of the machine. He pursed his lips as the music stopped completely, letting out a proud breath as the instrumental began to blare from the speakers.

He chuckled in delight as the group began to move to the music, Rudy making a drumming motion with his hands, Cassie and Maria nodding her heads along as they gravitated toward each other, Tim tapping his feet in the most dad-like way possible, and Minnow shaking her head at the spike in the music.

"Why can't I get just one kiss?" John began, rising from his seat, miming a microphone, smiling as Rudy pointed to him, a mischievous grin on his lips.

"Why can't I get just one kiss?" Rudy joined in, moving his head back and forth along with the music. He walked backwards with unmistakable swagger, bumping into Cassie as he went.

Sending him an acknowledging shove, she turned back to her girlfriend, her eyes flicking up and down her body, landing on her lips as she sang along to the line: "But I look at your pants and I, need a kiss."

Maria fake swooned, chuckling as Cassie caught her, one arm around her back and the other around her thigh, in the same position a ballroom dip would be, except their faces were much, much closer.

Minnow and Tim were dancing together, him moving side to side, arms rigidly pointed upward, as Minnow stood on a chair, loosely swinging her body around, a wide smile seemingly stuck on her face.

Rudy was dancing ganglily, moving his legs and feet outward similarly to how a tube man dances on a windy day. John clapped along, shyly tapping his hand against his leg.

Minnow hopped down from her position ontop of her chair, grabbing the boy by his arms and pulling him to dance with her. He moved in accordance to the girl, laughing as the rest of the group joined in, meaning they were now dancing as a unit.

"Day, after day! I get angry! and I will say-" they all sang off-key, their bodies moving almost in sync, despite everyone dancing completely differently. It was as though their simple joy had made it seem as though each strange dance move fit together perfectly.

Rudy picked up his sister by the waist, flying her around like a superhero, as Maria moved to dance with John, her arms wrapping around him from behind. He let out a chuckle, contentedly leaning into her touch as they both sang along to the song, taking in their respective surroundings.