01.3: fight

In which shit gets real

_____________________

When Cassie awoke, she awoke in Maria's arms. The girl smiled down at her, slightly squinting her heavenly eyes.

"We slept late." Cassie giggled, heaving herself up, and stretching. She pulled Maria up, grabbing her hands and bringing their faces together. "Come on, I'll take you to see everyone." Cassie said, leading Maria through the forest by the hand.

The two girls giggled as they walked up to the house, spotting Rudy as they walked. He gasped, running up to them, picking up Maria and spinning her. She yelped, surprised, but smiled at the boy all the same. It was almost as if it was the three of them back in the school halls again.

"Hey." Yelled Shane, barrelling toward the three teenagers. "Who the hell is this?" He pointed to Maria, who slinked away at the sight of him. Rudy stood protectively infront of his two friends. Cassie pushed infront of him, inching her way toward the man.

"She's my friend, back off." Cassie ordered, her voice shaking. The rest of the group were walking toward them now. Cassie tightened her grip on her girlfriends hand.

"Really? 'Cos by the looks of things, you brought an armed stranger into our camp!" He yelled, pointing toward the pistol in Maria's belt.

"Who the hell is this?" T-Dog said as he arrived at the scene.

"My thoughts exactly, man. How can we be sure that she's not here to take this farm?" Shane jeered, standing over the teenagers.

"She's here for us, now back off." Rudy said, balling his fists up. This was bad. Rudy never got mad, not at anyone. It was almost as though he hated Shane as much as his best friend.

Shane took a deep breath, shoving past Rudy, knocking him to the floor, and harshly grabbing Maria by the shoulder.

"Get off of her!" Cassie cried, trying to keep her grip on the other girls hand.

"T-Dog, help me lock her up."

"Let her go you humpty dumpty bastard!" Rudy yelled, giving Shane a harsh push. He merely laughed, carrying on walking.

"T-Dog? Anyone?" Cassie begged, watching them all stare.

"Maybe just until we know she's not dangerous." T-Dog said, giving Rudy and Cassie sympathetic looks.

"She's not dangerous." Cassie spat back, trying to get to the girl.

"And how can they trust you on that, huh? You haven't been here more than two days-" Shane preached, not even bothering to face her.