Go Don't Go

"What are you doing?"

Barry jumped, startled at his husband's sudden question. He'd been... somewhere else, though he couldn't remember where. There's been a definite thought path he'd been traversing, but the interruption had pulled him away, losing track of it entirely.

"Huh?" he mumbled, his mind still returning to the bedroom he was currently packing in.

"What are you doing?"

Barry looked down to remind himself of what, exactly, he had been so engrossed in. He vaguely knew his hands had been moving. But, what...? Oh, yes.

"I'm packing, obviously."

"Are we going somewhere? It's not really safe to go anywhere, is it?"

"Probably not, but you were so adamant, I didn't feel I had a choice."

"What are you talking about?"

Barry stared at the shirt he was holding. He wasn't overly keen on it, but Drew said it suited him. He liked the colour and fit. As such, Barry wore it, thinking, whilst doing so, the colour made him look paler skinned than he already was, and it was tight enough to make his small paunch look more like he was expecting a delivery in a few months. He shook it out of its folded state and laid it out on top of his bag.

He sighed.

"You, Drew. You told me to go, so I'm going."

"I... what? I said no such thing! Why would I tell you to leave? I love you!"

"I know. I love you too, but... it was the way you said it. You meant it, and I can't refuse."

Drew moved closer to the bed, standing next to his husband. He didn't like the ominous look on the other's face, as if he was waiting to say something he knew wouldn't be liked. Well, he was right!

"Baz, are you OK? This doesn't make sense. We haven't had this conversation."

"Of course we have. Just an hour ago. You said I had to go find where the zombies are coming from."

"The zombies? Why would I ask you that? I wouldn't want you anywhere near those monsters. We're safe here. I don't want you going anywhere!"

"Then why order me?" Barry spun around, shaking off the hand Drew was about to lay on his. "Why tell me to go, and make up some stupid reason for it? If you want me gone, just say it!"

"But, I don't!"

"And why say it in a stupid voice?"

"Stupid...? What? I promise you, I don't know what you're on about."

Barry was panting and his fists were clenched, keeping his tears tightly controlled. They'd been together for almost a decade. Arguments were few and laughs came regularly. They were both affectionate and, as far as he knew, their relationship was solid. How could it end so abruptly?

Though...

Between them, a promise had always been a promise. It wasn't a word scattered around without meaning, as others often did. With them, if one said they promised, it was meant. So...

"You mean... you really don't know? You don't want me to go?"

"Of course, I don't want you to go! Why would I? Was it a bad dream?"

"I... No... I mean..."

"Looked, Baz, you've been working so hard. So much pressure. It was just a bad dream. I love you, idiot. You're staying here."

"I..." Barry began.

He was relieved. It must have been a dream. Surely it was. Except, he was unable to resist the urge to keep packing his bag. He had already turned back to the bed and was watching his hands work as if by themselves. It was hypnotic. He didn't want to go anywhere, let alone out there. No one really knew what sort of savages existed beyond the Great Wall. They might, and probably were, all zombies anyway. The Wall had kept them safe for thousands of years, and its demolishing had meant to change the world for the better.