Then

"Do you think it will work?"

"No, I don't. Not at all."

"So, why be a part of it?"

"Why be a part of the greatest endeavour in Earth's history? Why include myself in something that's meant to save the world?"

"Yes!"

"Oscar, my boy, was my answer not in my question?"

"No, Father, it was not. You state facts, but not truths."

"You're too perceptive for your age, son. Too much like your mother."

"Is there such a thing?"

"I suppose not. Your mother was everything to everyone. You carry her most wonderful qualities."

"And you use misdirection like she would wit."

"Indeed... I am part of this because I have no choice. If we wish to be inside once the Great Wall is completed, then I must."

"They'd leave us outside? But you're Mayor! You're too important. Father!"

"Oh, how I wish it were so. I'm a small cog in a machine larger than either of us can comprehend. And I will not have us left as outsiders."

"But, even the smallest cog can break the machine if it comes adrift."

"Which, Oscar, is why you're so good with your creations. I don't doubt you'll be world renowned, one day."

"I don't want fame. I just like to build things."

"You may have no choice, I'm afraid. Just as I don't. We're unfortunately influenced by events outside our control."

"Not at all, Father. You are influencing our future by including yourself in an endeavour you disagree with."

"True, but keep that knowledge to yourself, please. Dissention is frowned upon."

"But why can't we speak our minds?"

"Be grateful we're allowed to have minds, son. This is another reason I'm working on the Wall. They think those outside will fall apart, succumbing to the pandemic."

"But they will, Father. We could. Everyone is falling to it."

"It's why they're beginning a new calendar from year One. Son... do you trust me?"

"Of course."

"Then don't worry about such things. You make your toys and I make my potions, much more so since your mother... Anyway, precautions were taken, and we are each safe."

"But... how?"

"Shhh, son... I heard... No! What do you want! Who called... No! Get out!"

"Father! Help!"

"Leave him alone! Get...Ughnnnnnn! Os... Oscar... r... run...."

"Ah, you little shit. Get here!"

"Don't let him... Oh Patron. You're useless!"

"Sir. He's gone."

"Oh, leave him. He's just a child. He won't last long out there."

"Yes, sir. At least we got the doctor. He won't be messing with things he should be leaving well alone."

"Indeed, Patron."

"We should go, Sir. They'll be closing the gates soon, and we don't want to be left out. I saw a Gargoyle close by, too."

"Agreed, except I'll be going alone."

"Sir? I don't... No, sir... Please. I'm sorry!"

"Mistakes will not be permitted inside the Great Wall, I'm afraid, so I'm saving you making any. Think of this bullet as a favour for your long service."

"S.........."

I wasn't expecting to visit the 'before times' quite yet, but the LayethTheSmackDown latest prompt wanted historical fiction, so I had to go back in time (which is still our future) to meet a very young Toymaster, at a pivotal point in History

So, though it's not set during our history (at least, not yet), it is historical. Just ask the Toymaster.

Oh, if you've read the previous chapters, there's something in this that reveals something very special about him...