Chapter 25: Naganohara

Start from the beginning

Ayaka: "mmm... Thoma? What are myyyyyy– *yawn* –obligations for today?"

Y/N: "Ayaka, Thoma isn't here. It's me. Y/N. You asked me to wake you up again before your meeting, remember?"

Ayaka: "Y/N? Here? *yawn* I must still be dreaming..."

Y/N: "Huh...?"

Ayaka: "Hehe. With Y/N... and— hmmm... my meeting...? *yawn* Meeting... Meeting... hmm... Oh! Oh my goodness!"

Suddenly, and most abruptly, Ayaka had sprung herself up to a sitting position. So fast that she almost crashed right into my own head that was leaning over her, fortunately I had just enough time and reactions to dodge the accidental strike– albeit her untied hair ended up whipping me across the face as it followed behind the initial uprighting.

It seemed that spurring Ayaka's memory of her commitments later today was enough for her to shake off her grogginess and bring her to her senses. And now, still sitting down on the futon but at least now totally upright, Ayaka was rubbing the grogginess out of her eyes whilst simultaneously yawning in... well, if I'm being totally honest? The most adorable of manners...

Ayaka: "What... *yawn* What time is it...?"

Y/N: "It's just gone three in the afternoon. I thought it best to wake you up again an hour before that meeting you mentioned, so that you'd have time to freshen up and do whatever else such a meeting will require."

Ayaka: "Oh? That is quite considerate, thank you Thoma. You wouldn't have perhaps made something for me to partake of before the meeting?"

Y/N: "I didn't, no. I had your head on my lap, remember? And, again, I'm not Thoma."

Ayaka: "Hm? Not Thoma? Then who—"

As she was saying this, Ayaka had been turning her head so as to look at me and identify who exactly it was that she was talking to. Perhaps she was too groggy to recognise my voice? She at least didn't seem to struggle to identify me by appearance, as the moment her eyes fell upon me she cut her words short and looked at me with quite the surprised look!

Y/N: "Good afternoon Ayaka, how was your nap? Feeling well-rested, I hope?"

Ayaka: "I, uh... I did, yes... I feel really quite rejuvenated. Thank you for– well, for... what you did..."

Y/N: "Don't mention it. It felt like you could do with a bit of pampering after all!"

Ayaka: "Oh? You think so? Well, I suppose it has been a rather eventful couple of weeks... But, please, you need not worry for my sake. I am the daughter of the Yashiro Commission's Kamisato Clan, and I must be able to stand against the adversities that such a role will present to me."

Y/N: "That may be so, but it doesn't mean you have to do it alone."

Ayaka: "I, uh... I need to fix my hair."

There was a certain tone to the way Ayaka said that, but I couldn't quite place it, and I couldn't see the look on her face either because she had already turned away and was now getting up to walk towards a mirror with a surface in front of it that held a various selection of makeup and hairbrushes and other accessories.

There was a short stint of silence at this point, whilst Ayaka was freshening herself up and I was cleaning up the area around the futon that she had just awoken from. Eventually though, Ayaka spoke up once more.