Chapter Eleven - Welcome to The Dark Park

As Alora and Bull pushed their way through the open door there was a resistance that felt like they were trying to force their way into a bubble coated in oil. Once through, the thick film stuck to them, like they were dripping with an invisible evil. Right away a wave of fear and negativity washed over the children. Tears started to form in their eyes followed by a life sucking depression that caused them to shrivel from its weight. Lucid was right, just being present in The Dark Park made them feel vile.

Alora turned back around to look through the door from whence they had just exited and saw Lucid standing on the other side, her form distorted by the protective barrier.

"I can't do this," Alora said, overwhelmed by sadness. "This will never work. I'm not strong enough. I want to go back."

Bull turned to look upon Lucid as well, his insides tight with fright. "I'm scared," he let out. "I've never been this scared in my whole life. What's happening?"

Seeing the hurt in the children's faces broke Lucid. "I know how you feel," she offered, her voice hollow and far away through the hex. "I've been there. And I'm so sorry. I'm sorry you have to go through this. I'm sorry that I can't do this for you. Just know that what you are feeling is real. And it's okay to feel this way. It's so real and so overwhelming that you just can't take it anymore. But it will pass. You can do this. I believe in you. Right now you are filled with doubt and sadness and terror because of the world around you. But don't look outward. Don't look to the world. Look inward. Look in yourself to find the strength you need. Your inner strength. I know it's there. I've seen it. Then you must look to one another. Share that inner strength with each other. You children are brave. Braver than anything I've ever seen. But bravery means more than just facing difficulties and hardships. Bravery is facing who you are. Facing hard truths and being honest with yourself. Facing your negative emotions and still venturing forward. Don't stop because you feel fear. Be brave and face them."

Alora and Bull continued to look to Lucid with tears streaming down their cheeks. Her words were starting to get through to them. Breaking through the taint that coated their thoughts.

"That is the only way you two will be able to go home," Lucid continued. "That is the only way any of you will leave this place. You must venture forward and bring Dream World down. If not for you, do it for all the children imprisoned here. Without you they will eventually be taken. Then they will all feel as you do now. Is that what you want?"

"No," Alora said as she continued to fight her negative thoughts. Lucid was right. They had to keep going. Failure was not an option. No matter what, they had to succeed so that they could go home. All of them. "I'm sorry, Lucid," she cried.

"Never apologize for how you feel, Alora," Lucid said. "Just don't let your feelings control you. They're your feelings. You control them. Face them. Feel them. Control them. That is true bravery."

Bull wiped the tears from his eyes. "I'm brave," he said through sniffles. "I just never felt anything so powerful before." He then closed his eyes as tight as he could and shook his head as if shaking the thoughts from his mind. "I'm good," he promised as he opened his eyes once again. "I can do this." He then looked to Alora. "We can do this."

Alora nodded in agreement then smiled.

"Good," Lucid said. "It has passed. Just know that this feeling will come again. As I told you the Fiends of The Dark Park are feeding off of your essence. Those negative emotions. You just have to push through it. When it happens again look within yourselves once more. Then to each other. You will get through this. You will succeed. I promise. Now, go. Bring Dream World down. Then you can go home."