12

V. Long Nights
° • ♚♛♜♝♞ • °

HOW CAN THIS BE?
*ృ༅*. 𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖎𝖈 paces the room, grumbling in defeat. Occasionally he picks up a piece of furniture—chair, vase, end table; whatever happens to be nearby—and throws it at the wall.

Amy no longer flinches at the sounds, only mourns the broken pieces on the floor.

Eight nights have passed since Shadow and the human girl have disappeared. Eight nights since the massacre. Eight long nights of Sonic throwing tantrums and hissy fits.

Amy hopes Rouge got to them in time. She hopes her sister did not die with them.

She almost paces the room, but stays put, seeing as Sonic is already doing that. If her secrets are to remain secret, she must not be readable.

"My Queen." Lady Blaze is here at her side, Sir Silver following behind, ready to escort her to bed. Amy gives them both a nod before turning to Sonic. He refuses to look at her.

"Good night, Sonnikku," she sings.

He tells her to shut up.

It would hurt her feelings if she was not against him, not his enemy.

But she is, so she scoffs. So rude.

Amy leaves with the two knights, waiting until she is alone in her bedchamber to breathe. A red envelope is waiting for her, tucked in a pillow.

It is very hidden; she only sees it because she knows to look for it. It makes her heart skip and trip.

It is a message from Rouge.

Her fingers hurry to open and read it.

            Dearest Rose,
            Things have gone according to plan, although Umbra has other ideas—which are excellent. We hurt the enemy and then we disappear. Not a bad plan. I am tempted.
            But don't fret, little sister. You know where to find me.
            Only one problem remains: where will I find you? With him or with me? Make a wise choice, Rose. You have all my love, either way.
                          —Queen of Diamonds

She breathes now. Long and deep, holding the letter to her chest. Shadow and the human are safe. They made it out alive and have plans to strike back.

Amy blushes then, recalling Rouge's words. With him or with me? She is honestly conflicted. Should she stay and be Queen, standing beside the boy she loves? Or run away to freedom? To remain a child for as long as she can?

I'm too young to be Queen; I'm just a glorified princess. But Sonic can't stay on the throne, she reminds herself. Not after what he's done.

Her thoughts drift back to him again.

She and Silver are close. Blushing around one another for years now. Even before his training, before his knighting, before he followed her here to Green Hills as her bodyguard. They have been friends a long time, growing closer with every passing day.

. . . But are they close enough to unite?

Would Silver give everything up to be hers? To be King of a region he is not from? To be King period?