05

V. The Kiss
° • ♚♛♜♝♞ • °

YOU SEEM CONTENT.
*ృ༅*. 𝕬𝖙 the sound of Scourge's voice, Sonic tried not to cringe from behind the pages of his book. Even in the garden, he could not get a moment of peace, but Sonic did not huff or grumble. He did not turn away from the tome, shrugging casually.

"I won't bother you," Scourge went on. He fumbled with the lace at the end of his sleeves, looking anywhere but at his younger twin.

You already are. But Sonic was quiet.

"I just want to say I'm happy you're doing better."

At this, Sonic's ear flicked. He looked up from his book and upon the eyesore that was the King, frowning. (Why did he ever insist on coloring his fur neon green? It hurt to look at.)

"Who said I wasn't?" It purposely came out an accusation, but Scourge did not flinch, much to Sonic's disappointment.

"People whisper about you, Brother."

"Whispers lie." He felt anxious out of nowhere, as if he had been caught doing something scandalous.

"Yes," Scourge agreed. "Often they do. But I do know you hurt yourself."

Sonic cringed.

"As I know you've been spending most of your time with Lancelot."

Sonic reddened.

"And I haven't been around to help you grieve. I'm sorry. Really sorry, Sonic." Sonic hated that Scourge meant it, that he truly was sorry and guilty. Sonic absolutely loathed this pity. "But I'm glad you're surrounding yourself with good people. Lancelot's amazing. I'm happy you're becoming close friends."

Too close, Sonic knew. Too damn close. He needed a distraction, but now it was biting him in the ass and biting hard. That was karma; she was a bitch and she loved the taste of ass.

Nine weeks since the old King's funeral and new King's coronation, and not a second went by that Sir Shadow Lancelot was not in Sonic's head in some shape or form.

He really was in love with him and he hated it.

This was not part of the plan.

"My King, you are needed," came a servant. Scourge tried not to huff.

"Duty calls. I hope I can see you soon, little brother." A pause. A whisper: "I miss you."

Sonic shrugged, turning the page of his book. "There's always the banquet."

. . . His heart nearly exploded and his eyes almost popped from their sockets.

The banquet.

T H E   B A N Q U E T !!

"Which is exactly why I'm needed. Until next time." And Scourge had to hurry away; it wasn't kingly to be late. The servant followed behind, leaving Sonic alone.

He bit his thumb bloody to keep in the wicked laugh.

But it left, popped right out of his throat, echoing in the garden.