15: Friends with benefits

Ruby: It had been a few days since the night of the investigation, and Ruby still couldn't shake the feeling something was off. She'd never heard of Aura Rot before, but Ruby knew she needed to ask Jaune about it.

Goodwitch: Today everyone had combat class as usual with some of the transfer students joining in to show off their skills as well. One match included Pyrrha against team CRDL with Pyrrha winning with an overwhelming victory. "And that's the match everyone." She said sorting through the information on her scroll. "Now it seems we have time for one more match, do we have any volunteers?"

Jaune: He smiled through his mask as he gave Pyrrha a double thumbs up for the win to which she blushed and smiled back.

Mercury: "I'll take a match." He said while looking straight at the professor. "And I want to fight... her." He said pointing at Pyrrha.

Goodwitch: "I'm afraid Ms. Nikos has just finished a match. I suggest you find another combatant."

Pyrrha: "Oh it's no trouble, really." She said to the professor before looking back at Mercury. "I'd be happy to."

Ruby: Once Mercury and Pyrrha went into their locker rooms to get ready, Ruby got up from her seat and walked up to Jaune. "Hope this seat's not taken." She said sitting down as Jaune greeted her. "So... think the new guy stands a chance?"

Jaune: "I guess that depends on his weapon and fighting skills." He replied. "I'm sure that Pyrrha will win though."

Ruby: "You seem to have a lot of faith in her."

Jaune: "Can you blame me?" He asked looking at the overhead screen showing Mercury and Pyrrha's aura levels. "Pyrrha's an amazing person, she strong, caring, smart, in all honesty I'm surprised she wasn't appointed team leader." He said in admiration which seemed to bother Ruby.

Ruby: She started to wonder if Jaune ever thought that way of her. Would he even notice her if their teams didn't get paired up so often? She had to say something, anything to get this weight off her chest. "Jaune... mind if I ask you something?" She asked hesitantly as Jaune looked back at her.

Cinder: A few minutes went by before the two combatants entered into the ring with Mercury walking in with a pair of gun greaves and no other weapons. She then noticed Jaune sitting next to Ruby in the front rows. Cinder then approached the two thinking this would be a good opportunity to gain some info off the untouchable champion.

"Mind if I sit here?" She asked interrupting Ruby and Jaune's conversation.

Jaune: "Oh, Cinder, right? Yeah, go right ahead." He said gesturing to the seat next to him.

Cinder: "Aww you remembered my name, you really are chivalrous." She said to which Jaune looked away with a blush. Much like before Ruby started to feel a tightening feeling in her chest as Cinder cut in on their moment. The match began as the two combatants engaged in a fast-paced duel. "Your friend's quite aggressive."

Jaune: "So is Mercury." He said looking at the match in awe. "I had no idea he could fight like that with just a pair of boots."

Ruby: "I wonder how Yang would fare against him." She said in a disheartened tone.

Cinder: "Mercury is a bit of a wild card, you can never tell where or how he'll strike."

Jaune: "Sounds a lot like Pyrrha." He said as Cinder was now staring at him curiously. "I mean just look at how she fights, she never stays in the same battle style for too long. Always switching weapons and adapting tactics against her opponent to keep them guessing."

Ruby: "Yeah... Pyrrha always seems to have the advantage... kind of makes you wonder if anyone could ever beat her."

Cinder: "Interesting, I suppose I'd expect nothing less of the champion of Sanctum. I'll admit, that does make things frustrating in trying to her weakness in the coming tournament."