Chapter 1 - Rescuing Mickey

Prez walked over to his office and called the leather shop to order the needed cuts. He had planned to go check on Amanda and Daniel but as soon as he hung up, his phone rang. It was Julie from the diner.

"Hello?" Prez answered the call.

"Hey Prez. It's Julie from the diner." Julie said.

"Hey, Julie. How are you?" Prez asked.

"I'm good but we've got a situation that I think I'm going to need your help with. The guys in the kitchen have been seeing this boy that they think is about 16 or so digging around in our dumpster. Our busboy, Jerry, said that he's spotted him a couple of times digging in the trash for food.

One night after closing, they found him asleep in the alley but when they tried to talk to him, he got scared and ran. Jerry said he's tall but skinny as a stick. He said it looked like he was wearing someone else's clothes because his clothes just seemed to hang off of him and he's wearing two different kinds of shoes. He's got a sneaker on one foot and a torn rubber boot on the other foot. His hair is all matted and he's filthy dirty." Julie told him.

"Damn, he sounds like Scar almost. How long has he been there?" Prez asked.

"Jerry said he first saw him about a week and a half ago. He thought he had left because he didn't see him again until a couple of days ago but since then he's been around several times. Jerry said he's been leaving things out for him like a bottle of water and a plate of food that's not leftovers or trash. The kid won't come near it until he's sure no one is watching." Julie said.

"Is there a way to block off the area near the trash cans?" Prez asked.

"Yeah but Jerry said to warn you that the kid has some impressive looking nails on his hands. Said they are like claws and he holds his hands like he would use them if someone tried to grab him." Julie told him.

"Okay, so we wear our leathers. What time did Jerry say he normally sees him?" Prez asked.

"After the dinner rush is over or just before closing." Julie said.

"I'll get some of the guys to come down this evening and see if we can't help him." Prez said.

"Thanks Prez." Julie said. "Hey, I heard Amanda gave birth to a little boy. Congrats!"

Thanks, Julie. When he's a bit older, we'll bring him down for you to see him." Prez told her.

"Oh yes, please do. Well, I need to get off of here. I've got tables filling up." Julie said.

"Okay. See you soon." Prez said before he hung up. He texted Spokes and asked him to come to his office.

In less than 5 minutes, Spokes showed up. "What's up Prez?"

Prez explained about the call from Julie. "From what she described, this kid sounds like Scar except he's not injured as far as she can tell. Said it looks like he's been surviving on trash cans and the goodwill bins. I wonder where he's from? Surely we would have heard about him before now if he was from around here." Prez said.

"Who do you want to try and capture him?" Spokes asked.

"Scar for sure. Shadow, in case he gets away from us and we need to track him, Rick, Clay and me. Me and Scar are big enough to stop him for sure and the rest of them are young enough that maybe he won't feel so threatened by them. Going in with guys like Thor, Hammer or Tank would scare the hell out of him and that's not our mission." Prez reasoned.

"Sounds good to me. Want me to call around and see if anyone else in that area has ever spotted him around their places?" Spokes had to agree that it was strange that no one else had reported seeing this kid.