𝐏𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞

Start from the beginning

"It was the king— he made me do it, I swear! He said that if I got rid of William, he'd release my father from prison." The boy spoke quickly.

Adeline knew he was telling the truth. Her father had been paranoid for months that her son would be a threat toward his place on the throne.

She stared down at his mauled face that was covered in blood. She couldn't breathe. His face, his beautiful face, was covered with blood. You could hardly tell who it was.

"My baby." Adeline choked on her sobs as she held her young son's body close to her chest and cradling him. Her eyes burned and anger flooded through her like never before. Footsteps echoed and both the King and Queen appeared before them. Her mother gasped, a hand covering her mouth at the site.

Slowly, Adeline looked up at her father with pure hatred in her eyes. "Adeline." He began, taking a step forward. "No!" She screamed, holding him close and standing. She walked, struggling to hold William's body and gently forced her guard to take the lifeless boy into his arms.

And within moments, Adeline had snatched the knife from the man's pocket and charged at her father, holding the knife up to his neck.

The room fell silent.

"Adeline!" Her mother warned.

"You did this for what, father— because you felt that my child was a threat to your place on the throne?!" Her voice was hoarse as she spoke. "He was just a child." Tears streamed down Adeline's face. "And you've taken his life away from him."

The king breathed heavily through his nose. "Put the knife down, Adeline." He scolded. "Where is duty? Where is sacrifice? It's trampled under your pretty foot again. You've taken my son's life and even to that you feel entitled." She hissed.

A pair of hands pulled her backward and she screamed. "You're a murderer! You killed my son— my boy!" Her voice broke and everybody in the room looked down in sadness. "You killed him." She whispered. "And I'll never forgive you for that."

"James, is this true?" Anne, her mother, questioned. Silence. He said nothing. He didn't deny nor confirm the allegation. "Take Princess Adeline back to her bed chambers. She's clearly sleep deprived and doesn't know what she's talking about."

"No— no!" A blood curdling scream echoed through the room. "You can't take me away from my boy. William!" She fought against the guards who were attempting to escort her. "My baby boy!" She continued.

"Your majesty please." One of them spoke. Her sobs were inaudible but it sent upset through everybody that heard them.

"He killed him." She whispered. Her closest guard, Maxwell, dismissed the others and held her arms in a reassuring way. "He's taken my baby away from me." Her eyes were beginning to turn red.

"Your grace." He attempted to calm her down. Adeline clutched onto his arms as her knees grew weak and he held onto her whilst she fell to the floor. "He needs his mother, Maxwell! He needs me."

He said nothing because he knew that nothing he or anybody else would say, would be able to take away the fact her only son had been murdered.

"First he kills my husband by sending him into battle— now my son! My child who was yet to live. All because he felt that one day William would be the one to take over." She sobbed uncontrollably.