Book 2, Chapter 7

Start from the beginning

Yuu placed a hand over the small part of her stomach that had only barely begun to be slightly visible (when her clothing actually fit, that is). She balanced the tea pot and three tea cups (gifts from Heartslabyul) atop a wooden cutting board, making her way to the lounge.

"Oh? You DO recall that I never promised to cover the living expenses you've been racking up, yes?" Crowley said to Grim innocently, making Yuu tense slightly as she placed the tea in the center of the table.

"Ah." She muttered, sitting beside Grim.

"Hard work can be a beautiful thing, Grim. I'm sure you agree, Miss Yuu." Crowley said, pouring his own tea as he looked at her.

She sighed, recalling the Headmage's specific wording that allowed Grim and herself to stay, but not promising to pay for anything.

She forced a smile, "I don't seem to be in a position to disagree, do I?" She said, Crowley flashing her a smile before clearing his throat.

"I'll get straight to the point." He pulled out several different student files, spreading them out on the table as Yuu leaned forward to get a better look at them. "There has been a rash of students being hurt in suspicious incidents on campus lately. I'm here to ask you to investigate the matter."

"Suspicious incidents...?" Grim asked, clambering over Yuu's lap to get a closer look at the documents.

"Yes. Students falling down stairs, getting burns from boiling water, and so forth." Crowley explained. "The specifics of the incidents differ, but the nurse's office has had a clear spike in patients over the last few days."

Yuu nodded as she looked at the chart that Crowley had compiled. "With yesterday's incident on the stairs, we now have ten wounded students. We're just fortunate that none of the injuries have been life-threatening...yet."

Yuu's eyebrows furrowed. "A few of these could have potentially been life threatening if the fall had been from higher up or wrong..." She said, anxiously bouncing her leg.

"Ya sure it ain't just kids bein' clumsy?" Grim asked, more skeptical than Yuu.

"I'm sure many of our students are too distracted by the upcoming tournament to focus properly. But this is far more accidents than we've had in the past years." Crowley explained before adding one more crucial detail;

"Furthermore, all of the wounded students were considered contenders to make their dorms' teams."

Yuu's eyes widened and Grim leaned forward.

"Oooh, NOW this is gettin' interesting."

"You're suggesting foul play?" She inquired, Crowley smiling proudly at her.

"An excellent deduction Miss Yuu. However, we have no evidence of foul play." Crowley said, Yuu's mind understood what he was asking of her.

"All of the accidents happened in public spaces, and all of the witnesses said the same thing: 'It looked like he was just being careless.'"

Yuu's brows knitted in concern. "That's concerning..."

"Sounds like they were just bein' careless. Case closed! Glad we could sort that out. Bye!" Grim said dismissively and impatiently.

Crowley laughed uncomfortably, picking at the feathers on his cloak. "Not the most thorough of investigations, Grim."

"But this has got nothin' to do with me! I can't even participate in your dumb tournament! So what do I care what happens? Ptooey!" Grim complained as Yuu groaned.

"Grim, they're people. Have some empathy." She said as Crowley smiled.

"I'm sorry to hear that—especially after I'd prepared such a magnificent reward for you..." He examined Grim as the cat monster sat up.

"Ha! I ain't fallin' for that line again! I wouldn't do it even for a hundred cans of tuna!" Grim huffed, making Yuu unsure of whether she should be proud that Grim was learning, or disappointed by Grim's lack of decorum.

"But what if I allowed you to participate in the Spelldrive tournament?" Crowley suggested, making the cat's head snap back to where the Headmage was sitting.

"PARDONNE-MOI?!" Grim cried, making Yuu flinch at the loudness, leaving her ears ringing slightly.

"Grim, inside voices please."

"Sorry Henchman."

Crowley smiled in amusement, having found a way to get Grim to agree. "Should you solve the case, I'll generously permit your dorm to enter the Spelldrive tournament."

The birdman boomed out a laugh, returning to his usual self-praise. "What do you say to that? Surely you're dazzled by my altruism?"

Yuu looked at Grim, who laughed as his childish mind was carefully piecing together a list of Pros and Cons. Out of the corner of her eye, Yuu noticed the headmage lean forward, talking into Grim's ear.

"As a participant, the whole world will lay eyes upon your majesty. Just imagine the cheers echoing from the sold-out stadium seats!" He said, painting the picture for Grim. "'This year's most promising rookie, the mighty Grim, has taken the field! Hurrah!' And so on."

"Oh, man. It's like I can already taste it..." Grim spoke, nodding to himself.

"Ah, but of course, you have refused my offer." Crowley lamented as he sat back, sighing dramatically. "How unfortunate. Let's forget this ever happened."

Yuu narrowed her eyes, rage flaring in her heart as she watched the grown man manipulate her charge so underhandedly into doing what he wanted. "You-" She began, only stopping when Grim frantically scampered over to Crowley.

"No, wait! WAIT! I'm in! I'll do it!"

Crowley leaned forward, a devious smirk playing on his lips. "What's that? You'll do it, you say?"

Grim turned to Yuu excitedly, giving her the best puppy eyes she'd ever seen. "If you'll let me into the tournament, you bet! Right, Yuu?"

Yuu's heart clenched, but she forced a smile, her voice dripping in sickly sweet venom. "But don't we need seven players for a team, Headmage?" She stared as Crowley flinched slightly at her tone.

He cleared his throat, Yuu dubbed it as an indication that he was about to lie through his teeth or dodge the question.

"R-right! As school headmage, I will simply perform a magical miracle to fill out your team somehow." He said charmingly, prompting Yuu to exhale heavily.

"I'd like some extra details on this miracle, then." Yuu spoke sternly, warning the Headmage once more before finally dropping the subject.

"We can work out the details later!" Grim said, climbing up to Yuu's shoulder again, hopping on her and pointing as if directing a pony. "C'mon, Yuu, we got a crime to solve!"

"Alright, alright. Just lemme go change, and stop bouncing. I'm not a pony."