four| wasted prayers

BRANDY AND BRADLEY Bradshaw walked into the Hard Deck around five o'clock in the evening, the two siblings were howling at a joke that their Uncle Mav had made during basic training. The eldest Bradshaw sister, Andie was drying some glasses and putting them away when she heard her brother and sister, she immediately shook her head.

"What's up with you two? Something must've happened at training, care to fill me in?"

Bradley pulled out a chair for his sister and then one for himself as Brandy began the story.

"So we're sitting in the ready room after training for a debrief and Uncle Mav decides to tell a joke because a little humour after work never hurt anybody right?"

Bradley was snickering already trying to wait for her to finish. Brandy elbowed him, signalling to let her finish. The eldest Bradshaw brother nodded.

Andie, cocked an eyebrow. "Right?"

"Right!"
AND! Uncle Mav goes, "How do you know you are halfway through a date with a pilot?"

Nobody has a clue, except for Jake because he's Jake and he goes, " Well if I were halfway through a date with a pilot I would just start talking about myself instead because I'm a better subject than flying any day, can't we all agree?"

By this point in the conversation both siblings are beginning to howl again and Andie is getting impatient because she knows the evening rush will be starting soon.

"Alright, alright! What's the joke?"

Bradley swallows his sip of water and says,
"Uncle Mav says, exactly! And starts to highfive him! Uncle Mav finished the joke with, he says "enough about flying, lets talk about me."

And then Uncle Mav starts asking him where he learned that one Jake goes, "Iceman obviously."

Brandy piped up. "Oh sissy! Brady bird and I, we died! The look on Uncle Mav's face was priceless!"

"I wish I got a picture of his face before we left, it might've come in handy one of these days..."

Andie shook her head, in disbelief. "Really? You wanna try to blackmail our godfather?"

Bradley shrugged. "It might work one of these days! You never know!"

Brandy elbowed her big brother again.
"Shh! Look here he comes!"

Their uncle Maverick came walking into the Hard Deck, a head nod to three out of his six godchildren, a wad of cash in his hands.

"Hey! Is Penny in yet? I finally got money to settle the tab of all of those drinks from three nights ago."

"Auntie's not coming in until seven, Uncle Mav, but you're welcome to stay and help out for a bit, we can always use extra hands!" Andie pointed to another stack of plates that needed to be put away.

Maverick shook his head, sheepishly.
"Look, you're aunt Penny banned me from behind the bar. She says I'm better working the front of the house."

Bradley's eyes went wide as he stared at his Uncle. "You're banned?
Because your wife said so?" Where's the Maverick I know and what have you done to him?"

"That's still the same Maverick, trust me..." Came Bradley's girlfriend's voice. The voice of Gabrielle Mitchell, daughter to Maverick to be exact.

Bradley stood up and gave his girlfriend a light cheek kiss. He didn't need to pack on the PDA here in front of her dad and his godfather. No way.

"You ready?" The two had a date planned and Gabrielle had to go home first after training to freshen up a bit. Bradley never took so long to freshen up himself. He was fine.
Bradley looked at his watch.