chapter 1

Scarlett's POV.

Had Orion been here, he'd smack me across the head for being so careless. Damn, I miss that grump. But now isn't the time for self-pity. I have a tail, and it's time to act. To be honest, I've been playing with them, circling around for a while now. just having some fun. However, they're surprisingly persistent.

I'd have thought they'd realize one of two things by now: That I'm either clueless and wandering in circles, or that I'm toying with them. After turning the block for the fifth time, I now see what they were up to. Blocking my escape route.Maybe I underestimated them, it seems they're sure it's me. Orion always said, 'Never underestimate your opponent, or it will come back to bite you in the ass.' The old man was right, as always. That's why I'm prepared for situations like this.

I've memorized all the escape routes, including the rooftops. I even made copies of every rooftop door key. So, I dash into the nearest building, sprinting up the stairs with them hot on my heels. I find the key to the roof and quickly unlock it. Then, I leap to the building across the road, moving from one rooftop to the next. I need to get as close to the Main Street as possible.

I use my hairpins to unlock the rooftop door from outside, and the second I'm inside I find the key and lock the door. I should have placed keys on the outside as well. I rush down, shedding my coat and glasses. I let my hair down, and I run until I reach the main road, melting into the bustling crowd.

I keep walking, but soon realize they've called for backup. Backup that's combing every corner for me. I need a cover, and fast. I plop down at the nearest table outside a cafe, where a guy is already sitting.

I lean my head on my hand that is supported by the table, and act as normal as possible as I say, "Hi, handsome." When I meet his sharp, night-blue eyes, I'm momentarily stunned. I almost lose my breath. Almost. The last time I saw those eyes, they were lifeless. Orion's eyes. I quickly snap out off it, looking down at my hands.

"Hi," he replies cautiously, clearly finding me suspicious. Could he be one of them? I glance at the reflection on the glass, catching sight of the men closing in on me. Then, I turn my attention back to him, trying to appear coy. "So, what are you doing here, all alone?"

But instead of answering, he glances back at the men behind us. When he looks at me again, his demeanor has changes. "Funny, actually. I've been waiting for a beauty to approach me," he responds, do I usually sound as cringe-worthy as he does right now. Alright, good news: HE is not one of them. Bad news: he's NOT one of them. I've come to far to blow my cover now, but I have a feeling he's already figured it out.

Even though we're both exposed, I'm at a greater risk. If my real identity is revealed again, it would take a hell of a lot of work to return. I've already waited far too many years, and I'll lose my damn mind if I have to wait one more day for revenge. I have to maintain my cover. And 'Orion eyes' needs to stay out of it.

"Let me put you out of your misery. Can I get your number, and we can perhaps meetup? Or am I not pretty enough?" If he says I'm not, I swear to god I'll blow my cover, to hell with everything. Im literally so gorge- "Actually, I'd love that," he responds. Thats right, be grateful. Snap out of it, Scar.

I hand him a piece of paper, and he jots down his number. While he's writing, I glance at the glass and see that they've disappeared. Perfect. He hands me the paper, and I make up an excuse about needing to be somewhere and leave.

Merely five seconds after my departure, I find myself tailed once more. Way to blow your cover, blue eyes. Way to blow your fucking cover. I won't let them find actual physical evidence on me. Him suspecting me is just a minor inconvenience. Doubt without proof. With that in mind I head out to my cover workplace.