"Morning, Y/N," Yìzé called, giving Y/N a high five as she passed him.

"Morning, Yìzé!" Y/N split off from Bianca and her other friends to talk to the boy, who was standing with one of his cousins. "You two ready for Outreach Day?"

"No," Chyou muttered, crossing her arms. "I don't understand why we have to do this."

Y/N shrugged. "I don't know either. I just wish we didn't." She pulled her bag further up her shoulder. "Where are you two hoping to volunteer?"

"Somewhere easy," Yìzé said, folding his arms behind his head. "Last year I had to work at Pilgrim World, which was an absolute pain."

"I don't doubt that."

"I'm of a similar opinion. What about you, Y/N?"

"If I had my choice I would stay at the school, but the Weathervane's a close second."

"Oh, yeah, you're friends with that normie, aren't you? The one who works there." Chyou glanced over at Yìzé. "What was his name again?"

"Tyler," the boy said.

Chyou snapped her fingers. "Right. Why are you friends with him again, Y/N?" She seemed unsure of whether or not Y/N being friends with a normie was a good thing or a bad thing.

Y/N rolled her eyes. "If you two are gonna grill me about my choice of friends, I can go." She gestured over her shoulder to where Divina and Kent were standing, half waiting for her, half waiting for Bianca.

Chyou shook her head. "Sorry. But you should probably go join them. They look bored."

"Aren't we all?" Y/N bid goodbye to the cousins and headed over to Divina and Kent, the latter of whom had removed the poultice from his eye.

"Feel better?" The bruise had nearly disappeared.

Kent nodded and handed her back the poultice. "Thanks for that. What is it?"

Y/N winked. "A little fairy magic."

At that moment, Weems arrived and Bianca rejoined her friends.

"All students will report for their volunteer jobs at 10:00 am sharp, followed by a community lunch at 1:00. As you know this year Outreach Day culminates in a very special event, the dedication of a new memorial statue in the town square, which will also include performances by Nevermore students. As representatives of our school, I trust you will all put your best face forward."

The teachers started going around and handing out the volunteer assignments. Bianca, Divina, and Kent were all assigned to Pilgrim World, which they were all right with, while Y/N was assigned to the Weathervane. She breathed a sigh of relief and as Weem's approached her, she sent the principal a thankful smile. No doubt Weems had made sure she wouldn't be outreaching Pilgrim World again, especially after the fiasco that had happened last year.

"Y/N," Weems said, pulling the girl aside for a moment. "I trust you will be able to find your way down to Jericho on your own, but I ask that you remain by the road. With all of the recent attacks, I don't want you going into the woods by yourself." She glanced down at the pendant around Y/N's neck. "And just in case you miss the welcome ceremony in the town square, I just want to remind you to be..."

"Careful?"

Weems smiled and nodded. "I know what happened last year wasn't your fault, sweetie. But just be a little more careful this time around, okay? Children don't always think before they do something."

"I know."

Weems gently patted her on the shoulder before heading off to lead the rest of the students down to the shuttles that were waiting. Y/N followed after them, but as the rest of the students piled onto the shuttles, Y/N started walking, heading down the road that would lead her to Jericho. It would take her a little longer this time, as Weems didn't want her cutting through the forest, but she knew that with a little magic, she would be able to make it down in time for the welcome speech.