It Was My Way To Protect You

Wooyoung stood in the bustling café, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air. As the worker called out his order, he walked up to the counter to retrieve his steaming cup of coffee, offering a polite 'thank you'.

Turning around, his eyes scanned the place for a suitable place to sit and enjoy his drink. It didn't take long for his gaze to land on Hanbyeol, seated near the windowpane wall, quietly sipping on her own beverage while she watched the people passing by.

A furrow formed on Wooyoung's brows as he recalled how he had let his opinions of her become misconstrued over time, clouded by his own ambitions and desires for success. He remembered how he had been willing to use her, manipulate her even, disregarding how his actions might have hurt her deeply.

He couldn't help but wonder how things might have turned out if Yunho had managed to persuade her to share information about Sunrise and his investment deal, as per his initial plan.

Yunho's furious confrontation and the escalating scandal involving Hongjoong had shaken Wooyoung to his core. His conscience, long buried beneath layers of negative emotions, had resurfaced, nagging at him relentlessly. He began to wonder when he had become so materialistic, when he had started to view the people he considered friends as mere pawns in his pursuit of success.

As he stood there, grappling with these thoughts, a wave of realisation washed over him. He saw himself in a new light, unrecognisable from the person he once was.

He wondered if his insatiable greed had indeed turned him into something less than human, causing him to lose sight of the values and relationships he once held dear.

Hanbyeol sensed a pair of eyes fixed on her, prompting her to instinctively turn her head. Her gaze met Wooyoung's, and he took a step back, visibly surprised.

After just a brief moment, her lips curved into a warm smile.

"Wooyoung." She called out, her tone friendly.

"Hey..." He answered, his voice quieter.

"Coffee?" She gestured to her cup.

"Ah, y-yes." He attempted to hide his stammer as he mirrored her gesture with his own cup.

The hazel haired woman watched him, a little puzzled, trying to understand whether he wanted to stay in to drink or leave with his coffee.

Wooyoung clicked his tongue, frustrated at himself for not being able to face her sincerely.

"Join me?" Hanbyeol spoke, breaking the awkward tension between them.

The raven haired man gulped down the unease, and smiled, before walking up to her and sitting down opposite her.

"How have you been?" She asked, her smile just as genuine and radiant as ever.

"F-Fine." He bit his lip, annoyed at his stutter.

Hanbyeol was no fool, and Wooyoung suspected she had already pieced together the reason behind his nervousness.

She knew about the scandal, just like everyone else, but how much did she really know?

Had Hongjoong confided in her and revealed everything? She probably hadn't bought into the idea that her CEO was solely responsible.

The raven haired man wondered if she held him accountable or even despised him now.

"Wooyoung." She uttered, interrupting his thoughts. "I won't ask you about the scandal, relax."

He stared at her, blinking a couple of times.

"Drink up. Your coffee's getting cold." She advised, a small chuckle escaping her lips.

"Is it..." He took a sip of his drink, contemplating his words. "Is it because you already know everything?"