Chapter 2: Cassiopeia

Start from the beginning

"Ohh, I see, I couldn't imagine how I can live without this vision when I'm older." Elio couldn't even imagine how will he live in the future, but it's still a long way to go, and not the thing that a 7-year old child should have thought that time.

"Perhaps, it was meant to be, son. You were young, and you were meant to explore and experience everything that surrounds you. They are the ones who define you. Which is why you should utilize it while you're young. As we grow older, I realize that I should focus on what's closer to me, cherishing the moments that I have with the people around me, which is why I'm okay not being able to do the "Enhanced Vision" anymore. I might have some regrets of not utilizing it to the maximum, but I finally understood how this works. This is why I decided to take this job, archiving data from planets to planets, but still keeping my family within reach." Franco explained with a powerful wisdom inside all of his sentences, and it made Elio a bit stunned.

It was one of the beginning where Elio started to stack some respect towards his father. Elio didn't know much about his dad's previous job although he knew that he used to be some kind of a soldier for New Earth's military. But Franco never mentioned that much detail to his son. From Franco's story, Elio already had a grasp on what actually happened. His dad was probably had a stable and high-paying career working in the military, but he stopped working when he got Elio because of the risk, especially the threat was from other planets and probably in form of other beings. Franco finally decided to be an archivist along with his family. A job which has less threat and risk.

******

Elio woke up from his flashback and found the 14-year old himself inside the control room.

"El, you okay?" Franco was already walking and approaching Elio, worried because Elio just zoned out.

"I'm okay, Dad, I just woke up, I guess I haven't fully collected my souls yet." Elio chuckled.

Franco took of his driving glasses, and looked back to the controls to make sure that he already put it in the autopilot mode. Then started to face Elio. "Hey, why don't you wash up first then? I'll drive this thing around first, and will probably charge it in a nearby station. So both me and the ship can get some rest. We'll talk later okay, El." Franco went back walking towards his driving seat.

Elio really admired his dad. Although his father was probably in his late 30s now, he still maintained the muscle of a military-trained soldier. He still had the same buzz cut, although a slight balding can be seen on the crown side. Franco had a thinning beard and mustache around his chin and on top of his mouth that seems to be always there despite trimming it every day. As Elio looked at Franco walking back to his seat, Elio could imagine that he wanted to have the same traits as his father some day. Elio then looked at the left side

Elio hoped that this kind of conversation was heard by his mom, Luna who was on the left side on the control room. Elio had never understood why his mom was so focused on the screens. It's not like she's doing anything important. Or maybe, Elio was not old enough to understand her mother's work. I felt like, his mom was so distant with Elio from the beginning. In fact Elio didn't even remember her mom taking care of him when he was a child. The first memory began when Luna put a glass of milk in the table, a clear transition of Elio's growing from a toddler who drink from a baby bottle to a young child who drink straight from the glass.

Her mother always gave both Elio their basic needs, like food, clothes, and shelter back when the family was still at home. But Luna never really showed emotions toward Elio. She occasionally smiled to Elio when she was home while doing her chores. Elio sometimes helped her just to get more of her attention. Luna's reaction though, was always limited. A simple smile, or maybe some statements like "I'll get to you later, okay Elio? Mom's busy right now." With the repeated respond from her distant mother, Elio started to give up triggering any conversation with her.

That day, when he was standing in the control room looking at her busy mother. He had two choices, going back straight outside the control room, or walking towards her mother, asking for the same attention that Elio deemed not enough since he was a child. I guess 14 years were not enough for Elio to learn, so he started to walk towards Luna's desk. At first he just stood on the left side of her mother's chair. Luna had a pale skin and eyes that are smaller than normal humans. Her hair was black with some strand of grey hair, covered by a headset. There were some wrinkles on her face, but it's not much for a women in her age. His mother's face was expressionless, unclear between zoning out or intense focus.

"Mom." a slight mumble came from Elio from the left side of Luna's chair.

Luna didn't respond directly, she pressed a button from keyboard which probably works like a temporary pause or a stop for communications, then some of the screens are in front of her are frozen or turned off. She then took out her headset, and removed her mic which is also detachable from her headset. She looked to the left side with a bit of smile. A smile that was so kind yet hiding a hidden meaning, informing that Elio was actually interrupting her.

"Honey, what's wrong?" Luna spoke softly. Honey was a lovely word that was spoken from a mother to her son. Yet, Elio couldn't feel her emotion.

"Are you busy, Mom? Maybe anything that I could help with your work?" Elio was asking for help, but what's inside of him was actually asking for the chance of doing something together.

"Not right now, Elio." Luna cut the conversation pretty short despite seeing a slight disappointment from Elio's eyes.

Elio was indeed disappointed, but he already expected that. These experience were already routine for him, and he got used to it. "Okay, then, take care, Mom.", Elio left and walked towards the door without looking back. He pressed a big button beside the steel door with her palm. The door opened, Elio stepped outside. After Elio walked in the hallway, the steel door automatically closed. Franco was busy driving his ship, even though he could hear the sound of the door closing, he didn't budge. There was a clicking sound from the door which means the door was locked. After Luna heard this sound, a drop of tear came out from her left eye.