Chapter Two

Chapter Two

I was luckily able to get the last train ride from New York to Chicago but I know this is going to be a long ride - a near about 20 hours riding on this train. I also didn't bother changing my clothes so I've gotten several concerned looks but so far no one has confronted me.

I dig into my backpack trying to find the couple granola bars that I knew I had in here but in one of the compartments I found a large manila envelope. That wasn't mine...

I pulled it out and popped the clasp, pulling out official looking documents and a white envelope.

I read the top piece of paper which is a letter written to me by Zeus!

Anthea,

Enclosed in this envelope is a deed for the property that you requested and it is in your name. Also, any mortgage payments, bills, utilities, etc. are all paid off for the next ten years.

In the white envelope is your bank card and checks for your new bank account filled with $50,000,000.

I couldn't contain my gasp. That was a lot of zeros! I had only asked for enough to go to school and for us not to worry about money! What the Hades!

The money came from Hades and has said if you are in need of more, to IM him and he will be more than happy to accommodate. We have also made it so that only you can use the debit card and checks and only you can give permission for others to use it. I have also taken the liberty to have you emancipated from your guardians - copies of those forms are also in this folder. Also enclosed is your house key.

Good luck, Daughter of the Sea, your father is lucky to have you as his daughter.

Lord Zeus

King of the Gods

I slowly set the letter down and just stared at the other official documents. This was way beyond what I had asked. I couldn't help but to think that maybe Poseidon had asked his brothers to add onto it... I shook my head, no, he doesn't care enough to ask them to do something like this for me.

I spent the rest of the trip reading through the documents, the shock of it all not sinking in yet. Finally over the telecom they announced we were about to enter the train station in Chicago. I placed everything back into the manilla folder and then in my most secure pocket of my backpack. Discreetly I pulled out two knives that would work on mortals and tucked one into my waistband and the other into my left hand where it was buried in my pocket along with the house key. I had memorized the address for my new home so I knew which way to go.

I pulled my backpack on and stood to wait at the exit doors of the train and made sure my backpack was secure and I was ready to venture into the dangerous world that is Chicago. I depart from the train and begin to walk.

I grew up in Chicago and had two loving parents both of whom were first responders - my stepdad being a firefighter for the 51st and my mother being a patrol officer for the 21st. Tragically just before I turned 10, both were killed in a drunk driving accident, leaving me an orphan. My mother's sister Layla Halstead and her husband couldn't take me as Layla was too sick to take care of herself with her cancer treatments, let alone take care of her grieving niece. My uncle Pat - her husband - was too busy taking care of her while my two cousins - their sons - were out of state so custody instead went to my stepfather's brother and his wife.

I haven't seen Jay or Will in years, which had felt weird to me as I was had been closer to them than the other side of the family and saw them as brothers. Both were 19 and 21 at the time but I've never blamed them for losing touch or living their lives. And I never will.