41. Finding comfort

No one's POV

The room was filled with silence. Aether wasn't saying anything, just silently staring at Xiao. On the other hand, Xiao was reluctant to take any action. He was scared of startling the Omega. So the silence was following for a moment longer.

"Ahh.. this... feels so awkward" Xiao looked to the side and sighed "You're my fated partner.. yet I don't know what to do.." He really had no plan in his head. Fear brought him here after all.

Xiao wanted to make it feel less awkward, but he had no idea how. He rushed inside not thinking what he should do first. He knows that he has to comfort the Omega, but doing so might be hard after all.

"Sorry.. I'm.. bad at comforting others.." He looked away from Aether while feeling stupid. He never comforted anyone "I.. was only receiving comfort.. from my mother. Is it okay.. for me to get closer? I can try something.. but I can't promise it's gonna work..?" He didn't want to do something that would scare the Omega.

Aether was not reacting at first. He was just staring at Xiao as if he had his guard up. But after a small moment, he nodded his head, allowing Xiao to get a bit closer. It's unknown if Omega can speak in his current state. He might be choosing not to speak or just can't speak for now.

"Thanks for allowing me to" Xiao slowly got closer, making sure to not startle the Omega. He sat down beside him, but not that close to him "I might not be good with it.. but... here"

Xiao closed his eyes and started humming some random song or melody. It might have not sounded extremely good, but he was trying his best. He wasn't that bad in the end.

Aether was surprised by this. He was not expecting this to happen. He thought that Xiao would try to hug him or something like that. But instead.. he was humming. This was a nice surprise for him. It has been a long time since he heard someone humming. His mom was doing this a lot of times...and Aether always loved it. But now.. it's gone. He can't have her humming anymore.

Omega closed his eyes, slowly calming down a bit. After a moment, he suddenly leaned onto Xiao's side. This startled the Alpha but he continued his humming. He opened his eyes to see the little Omega leaning on his side. His face looked peaceful as if he was enjoying this. Xiao felt a bit warm and happy inside.

If Xiao knew how to sing or be able to.. he probably would try it. But he's not risking it right now. He doesn't want to suddenly ruin anything with his bad singing .

After a few minutes passed, Xiao reached Aether's head with one of his hands and started to pet Omega's head. He hasn't stopped humming tho. He was still doing it. It was hard to pat his head in the position they were in, but Xiao still tried. And it resulted in Aether's body relaxing. Xiao was able to feel him relaxing. It put him at ease that he was able to help.

Shortly after, Xiao stopped humming. His throat was slowly getting dry and he had nothing to drink with him. So there was no other option but to stop humming for now. And this caused Aether to open his eyes and glanced over at Xiao.

"Ah.. sorry to stop so suddenly.. but my throat is getting dry.." You could hear it in Xiao's voice that his throat was getting dry. It even hurt him a little bit to speak, but he can endure it no problem.

Aether looked around the room, trying to spot something. But he wasn't able to see what he was looking for. But he spotted something else "Back..pack.." Aether's voice was a bit raspy and quiet. He pointed at his backpack on the floor near his bed "Water... take it.." Omega moved away from Xiao's shoulder so he can stand up and take it.

Alpha was hesitant at first, but after a moment he reached for the backpack. He saw a water bottle on the side of it and took it while putting the backpack down. The bottle was half empty, which means Aether was drinking from it before.