"You say you're not a viking, but...Hiccup is a traditional viking nickname..." Gobber trailed off, his question heavily implied. I didn't really feel like gracing him with a response, but I also didn't want him leaning toward a certain assumption.

"My father was a viking," I answered after a moment of hesitation. "He gave me the name before he died, and my mother... She wasn't a viking, but she was sentimental enough to keep the nickname." It wasn't a complete lie. Stoick had named me, and I never thought of my mother as a viking anyway. My father wasn't dead, obviously, but he might as well be.

Gobber seemed disappointed by my explanation. "Oh, so your mother, she's—"

"Dead," I cut in sharply. "It's just me and Toothless." And it was, wasn't it? We were so far from home. We truly were on our own now.

Gobber dragged a hand over his face. "This would all go a lot easier if you just told Stoick what you know about the nest," he pointed out, rising to sit in a nearby chair.

I looked up at him incredulously. "You just don't get it, do you?"

He started, confused about the meaning of my words. "Uh..."

I rolled my eyes in exasperation. "I tell you where that nest is, you go there, you die. See the problem?" I elaborated.

Gobber shook his head in denial. "We can handle ourselves, laddie. Wouldn't be the first time we've fought an army of dragons," he argued, waving me off.

"Not this army. Not this dragon," I stated seriously, inching closer to the bars. I still couldn't push the image of the Alpha dragon rising out of the smoke from my mind. If these vikings thought they could take on such a challenge by themselves, they were sorely mistaken.

"So you have been there," he accused.

"...Yes," I admitted.

"Why not just give us the information we want so you can be on your way, then?" He questioned. He didn't appear angry or upset, just extremely bewildered.

"I'm trying to save your lives!" I retorted, grabbing the bars on either side of my face and pulling myself up onto my one good leg.

Gobber blanched at my reasoning, looking me over like he was seeing me for the first time. "Why?" He asked, dumbfounded.

My shoulders slumped, all of my frustration seeping away. "Because...I couldn't live with myself if I didn't," I told him honestly, shifting my gaze to the floor. As much as these vikings were pissing me off currently, I still didn't want them walking into a bloodbath. Especially one I could prevent just by keeping my mouth shut.

Gobber considered me for a moment. In the silence, I could hear Toothless' restless motions above me, and I ached to be near him again. Going on a mission without him was one thing, but being forced apart? It was unbearable. We weren't meant to be separated like this.

When Gobber finally stood up, I backed away from the bars, lowering back to my hands. I couldn't walk on two legs with the stupid boot-thing screwing up my balance.

"I'll talk to Stoick. Maybe I can convince him to have a calm discussion rather than a full-on interrogation," he offered with a shrug.

"And Toothless?" I asked. He was the only thing I cared to discuss right now.

Gobber scratched his beard with a discomforted expression. "I, uh...don't think I'll be changing his mind on that anytime soon." I expected that answer, but it hurt to hear nonetheless. I turned away, not wanting the man to see the tears welling in my eyes.

"Just let us go," I whispered defeatedly, sagging against the wall and closing my eyes.

"...I...I'll be back later to check on you," Gobber stammered, ignoring my soft plea. He stood there for another minute, and I figured he had something else to say, but his receding footsteps signaled his departure.