Chapter 14

Charn and Nawin eventually had dinner at that restaurant, although they barely touched any food for different reasons. The young lawyer was too busy thinking about all the possible motivations behind his client's choice to hide such a little detail, a detail that couldn't even be proved since there weren't even cameras, so he ended up eating an appetizer and a glass of white wine.

Nawin didn't eat much too, he just asked for a salad, and when Charn asked him the reason of that choice, his ex-boyfriend replied that he was in his "cut period", whatever that expression could mean (to be fair, Nawin explained that expression many... probably too many times, but Charn's ears usually closed automatically whenever Nawin talked about fitness or diets, even though he used to like the results when he was still single).

After dinner, Nawin tried his last shot and asked him if he could take him to his hotel room, but Charn replied:

"Nawin, you know how our relationship is supposed to work: you ask me something, I take advantage of you for a while and then I throw you away like trash, pleasing your masochist nature, so the answer is no"

Someone could argue that this behavior can be considered highly toxic, and both Charn and Nawin would agree to that, however, they both knew the rules of the game and accepted it no matter how twisted it was. Nawin drove his dear Charn back home, and after the lawyer got off the car, Nawin added:

"Tell Tinn I hate him"

"He likes you too" Charn responded smiling brightly and closed the car door. He went back to his apartment and knocked on the door. Could he just use his key? Obviously, but at that exact moment Charn felt like waiting for Tinn to open the door could be a little more dramatic, and he was always ready for drama.

"You're back... did you enjoy your little date?" Tinn said after he got out of the elevator, this obviously ruined the intense scene Charn imagined of Tinn opening the door and then Charn getting on his knees begging for forgiveness.

"Oh yes, I did, I also bought a little gift for you" Charn replied.

"No, you didn't"

"Yeah, you're right, I actually bought something pretending to buy it for you but knowing that you would hate it and I would end up taking it instead. You know your husband very well" Charn added sighing.

"Yeah..." Tinn added with an exhausted tone, then he put the key into the door.

"Where have you been though? I thought you were already at home, probably crying and hoping for me to reject the handsome millionaire for you" Charn said jokingly.

"I was at the hospital"

"Let me guess, one of the kid got hurt, am I right?"

"Thanthai tried to kill himself" Tinn responded with a cold face.

Charn's eyes widened, those few words echoed in his head, then he almost fell onto the floor. Tinn shouted in fear and grabbed his husband before he could hurt himself.

"Is he safe?"

"Yes... but it was close..."