I stare down the spider, weakened from Gale's magic though still very much alive. It blindly hisses and spits, the acid flinging from it's mouth falling short of Astarion and Gale, but still effectively cutting them off from Halsin and I.

Crouching, I spring towards the spider gripping one of it's still intact legs between my canines, snapping it. It's bulbous body sags from my assaults as it struggles to stand. I tear it's leg from it's body and go for another just as it convulses and shrivels up onto the floor, sputtering an oozing acid from it's lifeless form.

With my heart hammering in my chest I search the room, watching as the others collect themselves and overlook the bodies we have amassed before us. I go to shift, but my chest burns urging me to stay. We're safer. We're stronger. We're free in this form.

This has happened before, just after my brother died. My mind was firmly at odds with my heart, guilt twisting in my chest.

Halsin's bear form stands tall and my mind misses the point where he becomes the large wood elf with long dark blond hair. I shrink, submissive as he approaches me.

"Breathe." He says in an even tone, "Let it happen."

I inhale deeply and let it out, my lungs protesting as I shift. The pain in my side and across the back of my legs nearly causes my knees to buckle as I struggle to stand.

"Easy." Halsin says as he reaches to steady me. "I owe you my thanks. You came to my aid without hesitation and at your own peril."

"She does do that occasionally." Astarion remarks walking over, Gale in step right behind him.

I look up to the towering wood elf, "We were told by Nettie that you could help us. We were infected—"

Halsin's brow furrows and he reaches out his hand. I feel a slight tingling sensation as his magic caresses mine, "You have a mind flayer parasite, but there isn't any sign of ceremorphosis."

"Yes, yes but can you get it out of our heads?" Gale asks. "That is the question."

"I have seen something similar in my journeys, but not to this extent. I cannot help you remove them, but I can tell you where they are coming from. Perhaps in finding the source of whatever magic is protecting them you will find a cure." Halsin furrows his brow, "If you help me take out the goblin leaders, I can accompany you on your journey. I cannot let tragedy befall my Grove. As a druid, I expect you understand."

"While I hate to interrupt, we still have the task of actually surviving before we can be of any help to you." Astarion says, nodding his head in the direction of the door. My makeshift barricade is still intact even though I can hear the signs of battle on the other side.

"So much for reinforcements, eh?" Gale says with a smirk, looking between us.

As Gale's words settle in my thoughts I realize what this could mean and turn to Halsin, "Do you feel well enough to fight along side us for a bit longer?"

Halsin gives me a smile, "It would be an honor to fight along side a daughter of nature."

"That's all well and good, but we need a plan." Astarion begins to speak, but his words die in his throat as Halsin returns to his bear form and begins lumbering towards the door.

Astarion's eyes find mine and I shrug, shifting back into my wolf form. I stretch my legs, feeling the pain of my injuries melt away.

"Oh, so we're a wolf again." Astarion chirps, "Delightful. It's not like I was waiting for a response or anything, darling."

I incline my head and walk forward, nudging against his thigh sending him off kilter as I pass.

"We will be talking about this later." Astarion scoffs readying the crossbow in hand.