Remorse

This snippet takes place 6 years after the events Requiem, 6 months after the events of Necromancy In D Minor, and 1 day before the events of the story I'm currently working on.

Quintus tipped his chair back and angled his book towards the light. He'd zoned out and restarted the paragraph he was on at least a dozen times. Reading was his escape from the things that troubled him, but when there was too much on his mind, it became a sisyphean task. Not worth it. He slipped the bookmark chain Jaredeth had gifted him between the pages and snapped the book shut.

"Something on your mind?" Jaredeth asked from behind him.

He shrugged a shoulder and grimaced at the pile of paper on his desk. More than once, Jaredeth had offered him an office. It's not healthy to work where you sleep, he'd say. Quintus may take him up on that offer, but for now, he preferred his cosy little corner by the balcony, where he could stare out at the ships leaving to nearby and far-off places.

After years of wandering, he'd been relegated to keeping track of all the necromancers in the region. Sometimes, he wondered what was out there on the paths where wanderers wander. And then he'd get a correspondence saying yet another town or city had fallen to the netherborne, and the answer would be clear.

Nothing. There was nothing left but desolation. At least in Avaly he could enjoy warm beds, warm meals and a warm Jaredeth. He felt for Octavia, who continued to wander, to fight a battle more sisyphean than his distracted reading.

"Have you ever sent someone to their death before?" Quintus asked, turning his gaze to the painted ceiling. The rustling of clothing behind him stopped, and he imagined Jaredeth staring out the window, contemplating.

"Sometimes I wonder if I sent Elaine to her death." It was rare for him to bring up his ex-wife, and every time he did, Quintus dreaded it. He didn't do well with these conversations, couldn't offer more than a void to scream into. His parents carted him off to the archives as soon as he showed signs of being a necromancer. And this was his first genuine relationship, so he didn't consider himself knowledgeable in matters of the heart.

"Is it bad that I feel remorse?" His voice was quiet. "She tried to have me killed."

"Indeed," Quintus agreed. "But she's also the mother of your child. I'd be more concerned if you weren't feeling remorse. I'm guessing Jaliah asked about her again."

Jaredeth breathed a sigh. "She did. I never know what to tell her. She's still so young, but she's so clever, I worry she'll find out on her own."

"You can't keep her in the dark forever, Gav," he said matter-of-factly.

"I know, I know. It just never feels like the right time."

Quintus shrugged. "I don't think there will ever be a right time. But you're her father, and I think you'll know when it will be the best time."

"I suppose. Who is this person you're sending to their death?" One thing about Jaredeth, he knew when to change the subject.

"A Priest." The scent of lavender wafted over him and when he opened his eyes, Jaredeth's face was above his. "What?"

"Is this some kind of personal vendetta?"

He shook his head. "He's not really a Priest per se, but a former Priest. When he was a baby, his mother abandoned him on a doorstep in Lehm. They couldn't travel together because she's a necromancer. He's been looking for her for years, but his best bet at finding her is at the archives. However..."

"If they find out he was a Priest they'll kill him," Jaredeth finished. "A precarious situation indeed."

"Should I talk him out of it?" Priest or former Priest, Eryo would kill him on sight. He'd never see the archives, or his mother. Or what was left of her.

"I doubt you could. If he's been at this for years, I doubt anything you say will change his mind. Best you can do is ensure he's aware of the risks."

"Oh, I certainly will."

Jaredeth leaned against the back of the chair and pressed their foreheads together. "Are you going to work late tonight?"

"No." He threaded a hand through Jaredeth's still damp hair. "You?"

"Not unless this whole city starts crumbling," Jaredeth said, a wry lilt to his voice. "I'll go say goodnight to Jaliah. Then I'll join you." He leaned over and pressed a kiss to Quintus' lips. "Don't fall asleep on me like last time."

Quintus rolled his eyes. He'd never live that down. "I won't."

"You'd better not." Jaredeth leaned up off the chair, but not before stealing one last kiss.

When the door clicked shut, Quintus righted his chair and slipped his book into the little shelf above his bed. Claude would be in Avaly around midday. He'd already briefed Amadeus and Undine on what they needed to do. The situation in Viperstone took priority over a naïve former priest with a death wish. Then why did he feel guilty? Remorseful, even. Damn, Octavia was rubbing off on him.

He breathed a sigh and reached into the bottom drawer of his desk and pulled out a bell. It rolled against his palm and caught the light from the candles. He may not be able to save the Priest, but he could try.

 He may not be able to save the Priest, but he could try

Hello Readers,

I have had quite the summer. I apologise for the radio silence but there's a lot that's been going on since I last updated this story. It's too much to go into here, but the long is short is that this summer was terrible for me. I'll make a post on my profile explaining everything. So go over there if you want a proper update on what's to come.