Chapter 22

"Their feelings grew for each other and soon became consumed by it. All the teachers and students simply watched on as if it was nothing out of the ordinary. T'was only love."
"But you noticed something was wrong."
The Headmistress nodded. "There were signs. The two of them not only became obsessed with one another but the idea of a challenge in the form of dark magic."
"I don't understand."
"Nearing the time of graduation, your parents were already very powerful, full-fledged casters. Due to being the best at their trade, both of them dabbled in dark magic, believing that there was no magic in this world that they could not master."
"But there was a price."
"Indeed. They soon lost themselves. Monique was first. Necromancers already have a tenancy of going dark, the reason being that they more or less utilised magic bordering between good and evil. Yet your mother disregarded this likelihood and still went along with the act."
"And Dad?"
"He followed suit. Their love bound them together but it was also what led them to become what they are today," she stated. "Soon enough, the school noticed that the perfect couple was acting strange. Because of the price they slowly but steadily lost control of their own minds and gave away pieces of their souls each day. Unfortunately, this made them appear fidgety and have an unstable temper. Their grades dropped but they no longer cared. There were heated arguments and fights between the two regularly."
"Didn't you keep an eye on them?" I asked.
"I did. Just as I explained earlier, your parents were very talented pupils. They had the ability and knowledge of covering up their trails very well. There's only so much I could have done," she justified.
"They didn't reach graduation." It was just a hunch considering how they were likely to be beyond reasoning with.
"No," she sighed. "They did not make it to the graduation ceremony. Just a week before, they both disappeared without a trace."
"You lost them."
"Yes. However, I managed to eventually track them down at times. But every time they would evade me again. It was not until years later that I learned that you were born and only two years ago that you were in Ravensvale." That's why we constantly moved around when I was younger.
Gwen Cremlim stood up and walked over to the bookshelves by the fireplace. Her fingers gently swept across the many spines of ancient records, dusty with age.
"Madame, what about the tome I arrived with. You have it," I simply stated.
"What about it?"
"What do you want with it?"
"Nothing. It does not belong to me or anyone." She turned back around. "The tome is forbidden and mortals should not lay eyes on it.
"Richard and Monique stole it years ago from here. It was unclear as to why they kept it for so long, until you came into existance," she continued. "It would appear that they had hoped to use the book for training you." But according to what Dad said before, he believed I didn't have the talent for magic. Most likely dark magic.
"If my mother was a necromancer and my father a sorcerer, what does that make me?"
"You are a special case."
"Nobody so far can tell what I am from my aura."
"Your aura is hard to read is all." She looked at me, "You do not seem to mind that I am calling your parents evil."
I stayed quiet. What was there to be bothered about? The way I saw it, Mum and Dad had me because they probably wanted a successor who was capable of helping them spread evil or to play a part in some plan they cooked up. And perhaps by hearing this and labelling them as 'bad' would just help make all this more normal.
"To be truthful, I myself cannot be certain as to what you are. Theoretically, you should be of both or rarely of one but I do not know a whole lot about your birth origins," she said sadly. "Without knowing that and having nothing to go by but your aura, it is hard to discern exactly what you are."
"Then what do I do about-"
She interrupted before I could finish. "For now you will attend both necromancy and sorcery related classes. This would best prepare you." I'm not missing the underlying meaning to what she said. I was going to come face to face with my parents again and who knew what they wanted with me then. It was best to be ready for anything that was thrown my way. That's why they kept me here on the terms of 'safe haven' and 'study' so I could eventually learn to defend myself. It was a fight I wished to but couldn't avoid.
"Do you have any else for me to clarify?"
"Other then Gwen Cremlim, Headmistress of this institute, what are you?"
"I see." She paused for a while. "A sorceress. I am a sorceress. One that has lived a long time although not obvious from my looks you're thinking."
I stood up. "Thank you for your time, Madame. I'll take my leave now."
The Headmistress stared and said nothing else. I turned and took it as the cue for my exit.
Her silence had told me all I needed to know. I would come back and when I did, she would welcome me.