second chance trope (mattheo's version)

Start from the beginning

Pt 2:
The last days have been torture, that's the best word to describe everything. You are fare from processing, not to mention being over Mattheo and the severe betrayal.
To your very luck, Theo gave you the opportunity to think about everything and revel in your grief without being interrupted by Mattheo. He wouldn't let him anywhere near you and you were thankful for that. What you also were thankful for was that Theo wouldn't tell you how often and in which ways Mattheo tried to get to you and you didn't ask.
On Monday, you had no other choice but to leave your dorm to attend classes.
It was a good thing that every class you had with Mattheo, Theo was also in. He nonchalantly switched seats with Mattheo, who was fuming when he entered the classroom and found his place taken. A deathly stare from Theo kept him from saying a word to you, so he just walked past you and sat down, making a plan in his head.
Two hours later, you send a slightly panicked message to your brother, asking where he was and if he's going to attend potions.
I'm in the hospital wing, got attacked by a nasty plant. Sorry
You sigh. So you'll have to deal with Mattheo on your own? Not happening. Before you can grab your things and leave, the sudden silence tells you Professor Snape just entered the classroom. Fuck, fuck, fuck.
Right behind Snape, Mattheo rushes in, a winning smile plastered on his face that tells you the incident in herbology wasn't an accident at all.
He sits down beside you. "Hey, how are you?", he whispers as if nothing is wrong.
You scoff, but don't answer. A few minutes pass.
"Got a clue what Snape is talking about?", Mattheo asks quietly.
You snap your head to look at him. "What the hell do you want from me, Mattheo?"
He gulps, his confidence nowhere to be seen now that he got a response.
"I need to apologize.", he replies after making sure Snape isn't paying any attention to you.
"...like really bad. I am a stupid, stupid man for playing with your feelings like that. I was black out drunk when I accepted that bet and I didn't think you would become so important for me and-"
You interrupt him with a suppressed, unamused laughter. "Yeah, that makes things better."
Your voice comes out sharp, but slightly quivering. You hate it.
Mattheo shakes his head. "-and when I realized I love you, it was too late. I couldn't tell you because I was too afraid I was going to lose you."
You interrupted him again, focusing on another thing that has been on your mind the last days. That's better than thinking about the way his words affect you. "You told Daphne before me, your damn ex knew before me, Mattheo."
Mattheo sighs, rubbing his hands on his thighs nervously. "I didn't tell her, I told another girl who told her. But I didn't hook up with that girl, I promise. From our first date on, it has only been you."
Even though his words make you question everything and you really want to believe his words, you force yourself to stick to your anger and scorn rather than your confusion.
"It doesn't matter.", is all you say, focusing on Professor Snape again.
"Fuck, of course it matters. I get that you're upset and that you hate me, but you have to know that I love you and I didn't mean to hurt you."
Tears form in the brim of Mattheo's eyes. It's the first time you see him being emotional. He blinks furiously, trying to get rid of the tears that blind him.
"No, Mattheo, it does not matter. Wether you wanted to tell me or not, wether you regret the bet or not. It doesn't change a damn thing. You broke my trust AND my heart. There's nothing I could give to you anymore, you destroyed it all."
You hiss, slightly louder than you should.
"Detention.", Professor Snape scowls.
Before you can say anything, Mattheo yells: "It was my fault."
"Detention for both of you then.", comes the humorless reply.
"Sorry. For getting you in detention and for breaking your heart and trust, but I swear I will fix it. Whatever I have to do and no matter how long it takes, I will earn it."

Pt 3:
That much credit you had to give Mattheo: He really tried to be a better person.
The detention he caused you, you did not have to attend. Theo found out that Mattheo had somehow convinced Snape to let you get away, claiming that it has been his and only his fault.
You were thankful a little bit, because detention with Snape is like hell on earth, but on the other hand, it really was Mattheo's fault, so if was the least he could have done.
Since he had no chance to speak to you at all because of Theo always being somewhere around you, he had to find other ways to prove himself.
Things that he usually did that you disliked, he stopped doing.
For weeks, you wouldn't hear about a single fight Mattheo got in, even though he was on the verge of demolishing Theo's face more often than he could count.
Also he quitted drinking as it seemed, at least that's what you heard from various people who offered Mattheo drinks at party's that he had declined.
Adding to all of that, there was a Raumordnung goin Lg around in Hogwarts that Mattheo, former known as the man-whore, did not hook up with any girls for weeks, much to the female studentships despise. Everyone thought Mattheo would get right back into the game after your break up, but it looks like he does not plan on doing so in the near future.
And to put the cherry on top of everything, Mattheo even publicly apologized to Theo for sending the plant after him that day in herbology.
It was confusing more than anything and sometimes, you would find yourself trying to escape from Theo to get time to think.
One day he was occupied with a Slytherin girl and you finally found a chance to escape him and his observing eyes.
You quickly make your way to the black lake, unaware of Mattheo sitting in silence against a tree nearby, thinking. But Mattheo sees you, and the he realizes that Theo is not with you, he walks your way, determined to use the given chance.
You don't hear the footsteps on the grass, for you are to occupied by your own thoughts. Only when Mattheo appears in your peripheral vision, you notice that you are not alone.
All you had wanted for days now was some alone-time, but when Mattheo sits down next to you, you are not upset at all.
Staring at the water reflecting the night sky, you admit to yourself - for the first time in months - that you had indeed missed Mattheo, probably more than good for you.
„Uhm- where's Theo?", Mattheo asks.
You shrug. „Balls deep in some Slytherin chick."
Mattheo smiles at your sarcastic response.
You observe him from the corner of your eye: hair ruffled up and eyes reddened. He meets your gaze and says: "I know I look wasted. I'm just thinking all the time and don't get much sleep without you."
Your heart breaks at his words, together with his voice. "Mattheo, you need to move on.", you whisper.
A humorless laugh is the response. After a few seconds of silence, he adds: "I can't move on from you, and even if I could, I wouldn't want to. You hate me, I know, but I can't let you go. If only you knew the way my heart calls you name every second of every day."
He does not look into your face, for he knows he couldn't deal with the contempt in your eyes.
You are touched by his words, in a way you can't even put into words. "I miss you too, Matty.", you murmur before you can stop yourself.
His head snaps around to you. "Really?", he asks, surprise and hope etched all over his face.
You slightly nod, feeling relieved now that you finally got the words out.
"Do you want me to walk you back to your dorm? It's past curfew and I could make sure you don't get into trouble.", Mattheo asks.
You agree and you walk back in silence, but before you part ways, you face Mattheo again. During your silent walk, you made a decision.
"Mattheo, we should talk tomorrow. Figure out how this is gonna go, either way we are going to destroy ourselves."
Mattheo's eyes light up. "Yeah, of course! Yeah, let's talk."