Chapter 11

When Kiada opens her eyes once more the cave is significantly lighter. The afternoon sun bleeds in through the vine curtained entrance of the cave, bouncing off the light walls to warm the previously cold room. She groans as she shifts her stiff limbs, her body still in the position she fell asleep in, her hand still linked with William's. She winces as she stretches her legs and twists her back, trying to pull the muscles awake. An extra blanket has been placed over her at some point, making it a little difficult for her to move into a comfortable position.

She scans the room and finds Oliver and Rodney asleep in one corner, Rodney's sword not far from his side. Elliot is talking quietly with Samuel and James who sit by the restocked fireplace.

"Hey." William's voice comes from above her in the cot, his voice small and affectionate.

Kiada nearly flinches, if her body weren't so sore she would have jumped to her feet and hugged him violently. Instead she twists and leans heavily on the edge of the cot, taking his hand in both of her's.

She tries to speak but everything that she thinks of doesn't seem enough, "Hey." Is what she says instead. William smiles down at her, his eye lids heavy with fatigue, his skin still slightly pale from his injury, but he looks better. Heaps better.

He tries to rise to a sitting position, groaning. Kiada is quick to his side, pressing him gently back into the cot, "No, no no."

"Kiada,"

"No. You will lay there until you are better."

"I am better."

"Not fully." Kiada sits on the edge of the cot, her hand brushing away the hair on his forehead. William reaches up and takes her hand, squeezing it tight. He sighs and lays his head back.

"What happened?"

Kiada swallows, "We're alright, Rodney and Oliver got Elliot at some point this morning, Oliver recovered from_"

"Kiada." He cuts her off. He knows she's avoiding the subject.

She takes a long moment, not being able to meet his eyes, she bites her lip hoping that it doesn't tremble. "I don't know... I don't know, Will."

"Hey, hey, it's ok." He squeezes her hand again and kisses it, trying to calm her. She manages a small smile at his attempts to comfort her.

The two sit in silence for a moment, relishing in each other's company and touch. His hand is steadying for her, something real and living to touch, something that still alive from her life before...

"Where are we?" He finally asks, his head rolling as he tries to take in his surroundings.

"I don't know exactly, but Lewen brought us here_"

"Lewen?!" He sits bolt upright and if it weren't for the pain in his shoulder he would have risen to his feet at the mention of the name. Kiada tries to get him to relax, her hands on him, trying to get him back on the cot. Samuel, Elliot and James all look up at the movement.

"Shh, it's ok. William, come on you have to lay back down." Kiada tries, but it's no use, William is looking around the cave expectantly, seeking the ghost from his past.

"What do you mean Lewen brought us here?" He asks Kiada.

"She rescued us from an attack in the forest, you were bleeding out on me at the time_"

"Where is she?"

"William please, you need to rest, you're cracking the poultice." Kiada tries to calm the now frantic knight.

"Will," Samuel makes his way over to them cautiously.

"Sam, is it true, is she...?" He leaves it hanging, refusing to follow Kiada's instructions to rest back.