An Unexpected Development

Start from the beginning

"How long have you had a crush on me?"

He looked away, but I could still see the blush on his face. What was the point in even trying to hide it?

"I don't know, a few months?" He muttered.

Cute, he was embarrassed.

"Why'd you never bring it up?"

"What sort of question is that? Why the Hell would I ever bring it up? You were my enemy, we fought, we screamed, we argued-"

"You still fell in love." I interrupted, trying to get a better look at his face.

"So did you."

Well, he was right with that. I felt a slight smile make its way onto my face as I linked our arms together, surprised by his lack of resistance to such a thing. I figured he'd have pulled away, told me off, screamed.. but no, he seemed content to stay with me as we continued walking down the hall to his room; one of the very few cases I felt kind of glad for them to be this long.

"Do you want to date me?" I asked, feeling his body tense at my question.

"That.. you.."

"I'm not asking you on a date, I'm asking if you want to date me." I clarified.

I didn't want to ask him out right now, not in the state I was in.

"I don't know."

Internally, I could feel his whirlwind of emotions getting worse with each word that came from my mouth. It was.. funny, really. A guy who could kill billions in seconds, who was known for being aggressive to anyone who even dared to get near him.. and now here he was refusing to hold eye contact with me or even look my way out of his embarrassment, his fear, his love.

We ended up at his room quicker than I'd have liked, and I unlinked our arms as he opened the door and stepped inside.

"Oh, you did give me my vials." I teased, pointing towards the sash that hung over some sort of coat hanger.

I hadn't even needed to take a single step inside, it was right there.

"WHAT?! That wasn't there before!" He screeched, catching me off guard.

I sighed in amusement. He'd always been unpredictable, it was something I liked about him.

Leaning against the doorframe, I saw him turn back towards me with his entire body glitching; probably out of both embarrassment and anger over everything that'd happened. I had to stifle my laugh at his reaction, but struggled as it escaped me anyway.

"You-!"

"I-I'm sorry-" I struggled to get out, "it's just.. you were so confident!"

"I was not!" He yelled, his face somehow lighting up in more of a blush than before as his voice began to glitch out.

"You were! Man, it must've been soooo upsetting to find out you were wrong, huh?"

He stormed over to me, but didn't do much of anything. I couldn't really see too much of him through the tears in my eyes over the stupidity of what we'd gotten into, but I felt him grab my wrist and yank me towards him.

And then I felt something on my face, I felt.. him. I didn't know how else to explain it, I couldn't even really process it.

It felt like it lasted hours, but almost immediately after he pulled away I became aware of how short-lived it actually was. Had he seriously-

"Ow!"

I fell back against the doorframe in a daze as he dropped my wrist and stormed back towards Nightmare's office, his fists clenched and his entire body glitching out of control.

I raised a hand towards my teeth, feeling the saliva he'd left both on them and inside my mouth. Gross.

"Did you seriously just kiss me?!" I called after him.

He responded with a middle finger, not bothering to turn to face me.

"It'll give you something to think about after you drink your stupid paint!" He yelled back as a pitiful excuse.

I scoffed and rolled my eyes, watching as he rounded the corner leaving me by myself.

I didn't know how to feel about what he'd done.. our first kiss whilst I was in a state like this? I couldn't even properly enjoy it.. maybe that's why he did it. Whatever, I could ask him about it later, for now I had to focus on the vials.

I walked into the room, feeling my legs tremble beneath me for whatever reason; was it because of the kiss? That couldn't be possible, I didn't feel much of anything because of it, so for it to elicit such a physical reaction..

I grabbed onto the sash and put it over me, feeling the fabric settle into place. I spun around, the familiar sound of the bottles lightly hitting each other bringing.. joy? No, not joy. It couldn't have been joy, we'd already figured out that I couldn't feel positive emotions.

One by one I took the vials out of where they sat, popping off their lids and drinking down the paint. Red, yellow, blue, green, pink.. none of them made me feel any different.

I stopped, realising that something was clearly amiss here.

When.. had I refilled them? I hadn't. I hadn't refilled them since the last time I had them, had I? No, I couldn't have possibly forgotten about that, the last time I had them was when I was sitting on the sofa and Error said something about me acting weirdly.. then I lost them, I think. But.. the next time I had them they'd been refilled? That made no sense unless Error had been the one to do it, but what would make him do that? Did he even know how to?

I tried to get the thoughts out of my head, struggling as they kept resurfacing despite my best efforts. I was supposed to sleep, wasn't I? Talk to Error, get the vials, then.. sleep. It had been so long since I'd slept. Well, not really, but it certainly felt that way.

I began the long trek back towards my room, cursing the halls for being so, so long before a smile made its way back onto my face at the memory of what had happened.

Error had kissed me. He'd willingly kissed me. Maybe joining this team wasn't that bad after all, the pros clearly outweighed the cons.